• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: True Union ball valve installation

moodymike is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

True Union ball valve installation

I recently purchased 14 2" true union ball valves.
      For the sake of simplifying this discussion, lets refer to the inlet side of the valve as the side where water flows into the valve form a source, such as a pump, filter, gravity, etc. The outlet will be the side of the valve that water flows out of the valve back to the pond.
      I always assumed when installing true union valves, you want the adjustable block on the outlet side.. so if you need to adjust it, you can close the valve, and remove the outlet side to adjust the block (assuming you can move the outlet pipe). This would mainly be in the case of gravity flow.. for instance on a bottom drain line. You cannot remove the valve completely to adjust it because your pond would drain out, but you can close the valve and remove the outlet side to adjust it, and it would still hold the pond water in.
      Well, the new valves I bought have a arrow to indicate the direction of flow, and they indicate the water should flow in the side of the valve where you would adjust the block, essentially making it impossible to adjust if there is any water or pressure behind it.
      Is this backwards... or does the direction flow arrow on the valve really not important, and am I correct above in assuming how they should be installed?
      Thanks in advance for the help
      MM

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

No, I think you're right. I'm not sure what the heck the arrows are pointing to... maybe true North.

Here's mine... and I originally had them BACKWARDS and was told in no uncertain terms the error of my ways.

Flow is from left to right on the tpr's back to the pond...
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

mpageler is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Having an arrow on a single union valve really doesn't make sense. Installed directionl will depend on what side of the valve you need to block flow off from if removing plumbing/pumps for maintenance/repair.
      MN Mike

5400g 10'x14'x 5
      Dry Stacked Block Walls - Drop-in Liner
      4" BD - Cetus Seive - DIY Skimmer
      125g MB w/8ft2 Biollow9
      Converted Trition II Sand Filter

My Pond Construction
      My QT Tank
      My Indoor Overwintering Tank
      Calculating K1 Bio Media

ruhkus is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Does it really make a difference which way the union valves are put in. At the flow rates we are talking about it shouldn't matter, I thought.

Kent Wallace is offline The luckiest man in the world
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It's probably more about being able to change the valve body if necessary and not about needing to close off the circuit when you take one end off.

avorancher is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Wallace View Post
      It's probably more about being able to change the valve body if necessary and not about needing to close off the circuit when you take one end off.
      Yes. You need to think about what will happen when you want to mismantle. Not sure about the model you have, but I have double union ball joints and if pointing the wrong direction, the pressure from the pond will push the ball out of the socket if you take one end off.

mpageler is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by avorancher View Post
      Yes. You need to think about what will happen when you want to mismantle. Not sure about the model you have, but I have double union ball joints and if pointing the wrong direction, the pressure from the pond will push the ball out of the socket if you take one end off.
      Good point. I have 3 or so different brands of double union valves and they stay together with both couples off. But the single unions I get from Lowes, will come a part with the coupler off So that single union style would be of no use if you want to shut flow off and then disassemble some plumbing/pump. You would need to add another union to keep the valve in place and not blowing it's insides out. Or start off with ball valves that stay together when un-coupled.
      MN Mike

5400g 10'x14'x 5
      Dry Stacked Block Walls - Drop-in Liner
      4" BD - Cetus Seive - DIY Skimmer
      125g MB w/8ft2 Biollow9
      Converted Trition II Sand Filter

My Pond Construction
      My QT Tank
      My Indoor Overwintering Tank
      Calculating K1 Bio Media

moodymike is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

These are double union valves (I should of pointed that out). They stay together with both couples off. I know the advantage to these is being able to change the valve body without having to cut or re-glue parts...
      but the other advantage is that the block is adjustable (you can tighten or losen it to adjust the tension it takes to open and close the valve). I am not really concearned with the 2" ones, as if I need to remove them, I just shut off flow from the pump, nexus, or whatever is feeding them. It is the 3" ones on my dottom drain circuit that I am concearned with. Once these are installed and the pond is filled, there is no removing them without draining 5000 gallons.... But if they get tight and need the block adjustment, shutting the valve should hold back the water. Then removing the outlet coupler, you are able to adjust the block. But like I said, the valves are marked with an arrow and the word FLOW pointing into the block adjusting side. If installed that way, you have to drain the pond to get in there and adjust the block.
      Im sure most people have never, and never will have to make that adjustment, but I want to have these in correctly, just incase I ever have to adjust it I dont have to drain 5000k gallons of water to do it. Maybe they just messed up in the mold and put the arow in the wrong direction? I will try to take a picture tonight and post it so you can see

avorancher is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

These sound a lot like my double unions... they also have a block adjustment from one end... but they don't have an arrow pointing to the flow direction and if you remove the adjustment ring, the ball assembly comes out in that direction so you can replace the seals if needed. I suppose I mounted mine backwards because I was concerned about the pond draining. Ignorance is bliss.

Just thinking... using them in a pond setup is different than a "normal" setting because the flow changes direction when the pump is shut off (assuming the valves are beneath the water level like mine).

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007