• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: About me

matherfish is online now Supporting Member
      is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

About me

I sell pond plants, especially lotuses and water lilies.
      Much is often said about who you should buy plants from, but the same rules apply to buying fish, or merchandise. If it is a dis-honest seller, they are dishonest no matter what they sell. I bought a lily from someone about 8 years ago and did not get the plant. They claimed it was sent to someone else by mistake but if I would send them the money again, they would send me the plant. They then asked me if I wanted to buy a puppy from them, as they had gone into the puppy business.
      I have had a pond for over 20 years and put in lilies, etc. , and bought my first lotus about a year after I built the pond. Gradually, the ponds multiplied and so did the plants. I now have over 50 varieties of tropical lilies, over 50 varieties of hardy lilies, and over 40 varieties of lotuses. I also have various varieties of marginals.
      My wife and I built our greenhouse and opened a retail garden center in 2000 when she was laid off from her job. We also got our first nursery license. We closed the garden center in 2004 when she was offered a job to go back to her company. I kept the greenhouse and continued raising and selling pond plants. This year I put the gh certificate in my name, but had left it like it was previously.
      I have been selling plants on forums and on Ebay even after closing the garden center. Selling retail, you deal with lots of customers. On Ebay, if they are not happy with the product they can leave negative feedback which is open for all to see. Even on forums, there is somewhat of feedback.
      I say this so that you know that I have 100% positive feedback on Ebay, with a feedback total of 1842. If my plants were not good, these numbers would be much different. If I did not give good service or merchandise, you would be able to tell. I have sold to the public, and my record is public.
      When it comes to selling and packing lotuses, the lotuses are already starting to awaken when it is warm enough to get into the ponds. They will start growing (running) almost immediately. A wholeseller may not want to ship a growing plant because the retail customer does not want it growing much as he has to hold it until it is sold retail.
      But I have sold primarily to retail customers. When they get the tuber within a matter of days or maybe a week or two, they will be putting it in their pond. A tuber that has floated and put on leaves is great for the customer. You know the tuber is alive, and you know that you are that much further along on getting your first arial leaf. I have sold hundreds like this and customers love them. Many have told me that they had never been able to raise a lotus, but were able to raise mine. I have never had a complaint as to it having leaves started or a runner started. Leaves and runners are natural growth on healthy tubers.
      In the event that something happens in shipping, I replace the tuber at my cost. In over ten years of shipping, I have never had a plant confiscated by any gov. official. No need to wonder "who will pay for a lost plant" I will by replacing it, should that ever occur.
      I am just like most of the sellers here, a person who love the hobby. I am sure there are many others who also post plants for sale or trade who have similar background, although the operation may not be as big.
      I know this is lengthy, and I appreciate you patience. Thank you for taking the time to read this.
      Sunfire Hardy Water Lily now available
      [/B]
      See my Pro Seller store on Koiphen[B]

TN Department of Agriculture Inspected and Certified
      for over 15 years!

“People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care”
      ― Zig Ziglar

DarkStar is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I never noticed this thread until just now when a fellow Pennsylvanian inquired about where to buy plants.

Hey MatherFish, Great Post!

IMHO, it's very helpful to have the Introductory info that you posted, and wonderful to get to know a bit about you (your post says a lot about the kind of person you are).

I don't have a "water garden pond" so I'm sorry to say I cannot take advantage of the sales and trades of the outstanding water lilies that appear in this forum. I have two large "bog containers" indoors and would appreciated a 'shout-out' from you if you get any marginals, bog plants, or tropicals, or the name(s) of any plant vendors you would recommend.

Thanks and Best Wishes
      Candy
      Find Something You Would Die For And Live for It.

matherfish is online now Supporting Member
      is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

My thanks to all who bought from me last year. I appreciate hearing about your ponds and the success you have with them. Thanks for looking at my plants this year as well, and once agaion I am greenhouse certified and inspected!
      Sunfire Hardy Water Lily now available
      [/B]
      See my Pro Seller store on Koiphen[B]

TN Department of Agriculture Inspected and Certified
      for over 15 years!

“People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care”
      ― Zig Ziglar

gray cat is offline Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~ Facebook Administrator
      is loving Spring!

Feeling:
      Awesome

Looking forward to another ponding season!
      Nancy

Koiphen 2012 Koi Person of the Year!