Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watonai goldfish eggs for sale

Kat
    's water lilies are BLOOMING
    "Petal Pusher"

Watonai goldfish eggs for sale

6 yarn spawning mops that have been used to collect the eggs from my Watonai pond (there are a couple of regular wakin in with them),regular Priority Shipping, & PayPal payment only. $50 which includes the shipping/mops. PM to make arrangements.

I am already seeing fry from the eggs that I've kept for myself, so I know that they are viable this season.

Raising goldfish eggs---I have Watonai goldfish that I've gotten from Steve at RainGardens in HI. Also found some watonai locally (confirmed by Steve that they have the correct body/tail shape).

When the fish spawn, I make sure they have yarn spawning mops or floating plants with long roots for them to spawn on. The younger fish in the pond will eat the eggs, so I will keep an eye on the fish, removing/replacing the mops with fresh ones in order to save as many eggs.

Prior to collecting the eggs, I will have emptied my 300 gallon stock tanks of all fish. I use the stock tanks to grow water lilies. The tanks will be refilled with aged pond water. There will still be plants, algae, & scuds. I try to have the tanks empty of fish at least a month in advance so the natural foods will have a chance to build up before adding the spawning mops. These ponds are outside & temps this year were in the high 60s/70s & the temps fluctuated quite a bit due to the wacky spring weather. Now we are seeing temps in the low 80s.

It takes approximately 2 weeks for me to be able to see the tiny fry that have hatched. I've been told the eggs will have a fuzzy look to them prior to hatching. One person that I sent eggs to dipped hers into a 2-3 drops Melafix per 30 gallons in order to stop fungal growth. Most of the people that got eggs from me have gotten a decent hatchout rate but not everyone was as successful. I've noticed the fry like to hang out around the spawning mops/plant roots the first week or so.

The types of fry I get from my watonai eggs over the ENTIRE season of spawning are: single tails, fantails, wakins, watonai, & deformed. Colors are orange/red, orange(red)/white, white/yellow/pink, dark brown that doesn't change color, calico with orange/black/white. I don't know the percentage of each, but I do a lot of culling. I seem to get more single tails than fantails & more wakins than watonai. The calico is not a very high percentage (but then I don't have that many calico parents). Not every fish is involved in each spawning, so I'm sure each spawning will not result in the same looking fry each time.

I do not use filtration in any of my lily ponds. Once the summer heat sets in, I will use airstones to add oxygen. I've even raised eggs successfully in small patio ponds (about 35 gallon) but the fish stay very small until I move them into something larger. If you do have a pump & are trying to raise eggs, be sure to have a sponge filter over the pump intake.

Since I raise all my fry among water lilies, it takes considerable time catching, sorting, culling, etc. in order to end up with a small percentage of fish that to me look like keepers. You need to watch out for toby fish (eat smaller siblings), dragonfly larvae, frogs, or anything else that will eat fry.

The keepers will be put into my larger timber lily ponds to grow out. At 2-3 inches in body size you can see how they hold their tails, colors, check for missing fins, etc. Lots of pretty fish, but only a few will end up going into my breeding watonai pond which has almost all watonai & a couple of wakins. It is a fun process but can be very time consuming. If you don't have the time or patience for this, I highly recommend ordering from a reputable dealer that has already done all this work for you.

So don't expect every egg to hatch into a perfect wakin or watonai. I'm in the Dallas, TX area, so if you are in a colder climate, different ways of raising the eggs may be needed. I know other folks will hatch out brine shrimp for live food. I grind up my koi food into crumbles & powder good for the smallest of fry. The crumbles are a good size for bigger fry until they get big enough to start eating the floating koi food. Crushed goldfish flakes will also work to feed the fry.

Of the approximate 15 people that I shipped eggs to last year, 3 of them said they got less than 10 fish to grow. So I cannot guarantee any hatch rate or issue a refund if this occurs as I don't have any control over the eggs once I take them to the post office. Payment must be made in advance so I have the funds available for when the fish do spawn as I cannot predict the exact days that they'll be in the mood

If you do a "watonai eggs" search, you can find several previous postings of mine with comments from other members, too.

Spawning mops with eggs

Parents

Here is some of the fry after culling.

Last edited by Kat; 04-10-2013 at 04:02 PM.
    Kat

gatorlover
    Until one has loved an animal, part of the soul remains unawakened.
    I got some from Kat last year. I wasn't prepared for them when we got them. DD put some of the plant media in a fish aquarium, some in a bucket. When I got home I got some stock tanks. We took out over 100 babies and put into the stock tanks. The aquarium fish had grown a little bigger and when we added the ones that hatched in the bucket, I think they became food for the first ones. I got at least 15 Tri tails with only 3 of them being the shorter tail "Wakin" So about 12 Watonai, all beautiful. Only one is still the blackish color. The other fish were beautiful, but single tailed with some being longer tails than the others. I gave Lois about 15 last week. A lot of them were red with white and a lot were white with red spots. Had about 3 that were solid white. One of the Wakin was calico, the only calico tri tail. 2 of them won First Place awards in the Virtual WWKC Show. I know that more would have survived, if I had been ready and had a big enough container to put them all in when the eggs arrived.
    Last edited by gatorlover; 03-23-2011 at 05:35 PM.
    Glenda

Only GOD can turn a MESS into a MESSage, a TEST into a TESTimony, a TRIal into a TRIumph, a VICTim into a VICTory. GOD is GOOD... all the time!

Lord when you build my cabin in the corner of Glory-Land, Please be sure to include a fish pond. Thanks

God closes doors no man can open and God opens doors no man can close.

cindy
    Never stop learning
    Moderator, WWKC, Koi Health Care Committee Member
    Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
    I had Kat winners in the show also! They wintered fine, can't wait for them to have more babies.
    My opinions in ER and on this forum are mine only. Use my advice at your own discretion.

K.O.I.

Member: EIHIOICGI

evesta
    has not specified a status.
    PM sent!!! My son and I like growing out the babies and I've had my heart set on watonai and wakin, so perfect. Will give us something else to do while building the pond. Better get out the sponge filter and tub!

Kat
    "Petal Pusher"
    I may have to challenge y'all & enter a few of my fry/adults if there is another online show this year

For those of you interested, please review all of my posting very carefully. I pack the eggs in a medium Flat Rate Priority box lined with a plastic bag & newspaper top/bottom to hold the moisture. Priority Mail takes on average 2-4 days.
    Last edited by Kat; 03-24-2011 at 02:42 PM.

Billy
    say there's no sales tax in Oregon
    Breeders cannot Show

Other Sites Sale prices are our everyday prices.

cindy
    Never stop learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Breeders cannot Show
    I'll sponsor a special catagory and pay for it if Kat or any other goldie breeder wants to show. For the members, by the members FtMbtM
    My opinions in ER and on this forum are mine only. Use my advice at your own discretion.

K.O.I.

SONATINE
    is happy his pond is up and running
    KARP Runner
    Got my eggs today, thanks Kat. I'll keep you posted on the progress.
    Last edited by SONATINE; 03-25-2011 at 09:23 PM.
    Proud member of KARP-Koiphen Animal Rescue Patrol

SONATINE
    KARP Runner
    I put half of eggs in a tank with sponge filters and the others in a floating nylon spawning basket inside my goldfish pond. I'll report on which one has the best success. Don't want to put all my eggs in one basket.

Marie
    K.O.I. CKK- Senior Member
    I got my eggs Monday. I don't see fish yet, but today I saw eyes in some of the eggs. Should be soon I hope.

Kat
    "Petal Pusher"
    Please keep me updated & good luck. Some of my first babies this year are already about 1/2" long. The single tails usually will grow faster.

Russell Peters
    is willing to give up PSKoi
    Dealer, Distributor
    &
    US Agent for INC

MATSUNOSUKE GIN

Contact us about trips to Japan
    Departure dates from October to March

SONATINE
    KARP Runner
    I've been looking for signs of life everyday and was getting discouraged that I wasn't seeing anything. I was thinking of pulling the plug if I didn't see anything by the end of this week. I started looking closely at the tank and I noticed that some of the eggs looked "deflated." Then, I saw my first baby wiggling around. I ended up counting at least 5 little ones. You really have to pay attention as they are tiny and translucent. So, I started feeding them today. A little liquid fish fry food and some rotifer. Not sure what's going on in the spawning basket inside the goldfish pond but I put some food in there as well.

cindy
    Never stop learning
    cool, congrats! Its so neat to see them swimming in the plants

K.O.I.

Kat
    "Petal Pusher"
    Gotta give them time to be big enough to see & if they are hiding among plants it is even harder to find them. Glad to hear you are seeing some of them.

SONATINE
    KARP Runner
    So, any tips to make sure the fry that have hatched survive? Now that they've hatched, am I past the most crucial stage?

Kat
    "Petal Pusher"
    Ground up koi food that is as fine as powder to feed them or get some First Bites at Petsmart. I'll use a food processor & a kitchen screen utensil to "sort" the food sizes. I pretty much don't do anything other than keep my water levels topped off, water changes (make sure you've got panty hose over the siphon), feed them food sizes appropriate for their size, etc. Another reason why I try to have my established lily ponds empty of all fish before hand so natural foods will already be available to them.

evesta
    Kat mailed Saturday got them Monday and they look great! Haven't seen any babies yet but I see some eyes in the eggs, so next day or two. I have some in aquariums, some in tubs.... can't wait to see those little stick bodies with big eyes!

evesta
    Pantyhose over the syphon, thanks for the tip. Water changes much easier with the python.

Kat
    "Petal Pusher"
    Evesta, hope you get a great hatching rate & some nice looking babies. Another thing to keep in mind is the water level. If you get a really big rain & your pond/tub water level is at the top, some babies may wash out in a heavy rain storm. So around this time of year I keep the water level a couple inches lower than normal until the babies are around half inch to an inch. Good luck.

Probably will get one more spawn or so once I do a water change & if we get another last dip in spring temps. So basically this is the LAST CALL for this season. PM if you want to make arrangements. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast