• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: At what water temp can you switch from cool water food????

Oakridge is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

At what water temp can you switch from cool water food????

Our pond temp is in the mid 60s and have been feeding for about three weeks when the water temp. reached 54 degrees. What temperature do you let your water get before feeding regular koi food? I have been feeding cheerios for the last week since my cool water food ran out. I feed 50% Blackwater max and gold. Thanks, GG

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

MikeS is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have heard 58 deg F tossed around a lot but hopefully the experts will chime in.
      Mike & Sharon Shaw
      Jonesborough TN

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=437164

TODDER is offline Senior Member
      is Currently remodeling the cap
      of the pond

Feeling:
      Awesome

I personally dont feed my regularly till water temp is pushing 70*. I feed blackwater max in very small amounts starting at 65* and every 3 days. Watching the water quality closely till the bio is up and going. I have started feeding at a little lower temp, but only if the bio is doing its job.
      The first step towards getting somewhere, is to decide you are not going to stay where you are.

clm is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I don't feed cold water food period. Just their regular summer fair in lesser amounts in spring and fall. Once they start coming up looking for food, usually at around 55F, I will give them a few small feeds during the day. Over 65 and it's back to their 4 times a day or more until fall.

clm
      Click for Toronto Pearson, Ontario Forecast

Joey S is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'm with clm...We had such a cold winter that when the temps got to 55, I fed them all they wanted to eat. Not sure what my temps are now, but not into the 60's yet and they are pigging out. I put my demand feeder back online Sunday afternoon and they have emptied it every day since. That's about 3 pounds a day. Yikes.
      For the love of Koi
      Don't Sweat the Small Stuff

Lifetime Charter Diamond Member #4 WWKC

JOIN THE WorldWide Koi Club NOW

Certified Koi Keeper (CKK)

mtsklar is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I successfully feed down to 50 degrees (water temp). Deep ponds with vertical walls maintain stable temperatures which helps a lot.
      Shallow ponds, have higher temperature deltas from day to night, folks with shallow ponds should not feed below 60 degrees.

Matt

tarmad is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You are going to have to fast them in another week to get them ready for the show.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by mtsklar View Post
      I successfully feed down to 50 degrees (water temp). Deep ponds with vertical walls maintain stable temperatures which helps a lot.
      Shallow ponds, have higher temperature deltas from day to night, folks with shallow ponds should not feed below 60 degrees.

Matt
      So not true Matt. My pond is only 3 - 3.5 feet deep. Temperature variation is minimal in my pond, never more than 4 degrees between overnight and heat of the day. Only dropped 1 degree last night. I feed when mine are hungry.

clm

mtsklar is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi Clm,
      I think it depends on the temperature delta between night and day. We can see 30+ degrees of change in air temp in spring and fall.
      Do you have rocks in your pond? They will act as a heat sink. Lastly, my comments are general in nature perhaps 3 feet is deep enough.
      Some of the myths in the hobby come from the shallow pond designs, that avoid building codes.
      Matt

Quote Originally Posted by clm View Post
      So not true Matt. My pond is only 3 - 3.5 feet deep. Temperature variation is minimal in my pond, never more than 4 degrees between overnight and heat of the day. Only dropped 1 degree last night. I feed when mine are hungry.

clm

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

No rocks in the pond, straight sides, large 12X18 surface area, 3 submerisible pumps that sit on the bottom year round. No matter the huge differences between day and night temps here, I have never seen a greater than 4 degree swing in temperature. It's a good thing, the pond warms slowly in spring and cools off slowly in fall. Could help that the pond is dug in solid clay. It's lined, but the clay probably helps the pond temperature not fluctuate too much.

clm

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Pond James_Pond is offline Senior Member
      is Let 'em eat Manda Foo!

Feeling:
      Friendly

That is interesting, clm. Dirt is dirt, earth is earth. (unless we're talking about a peat bog or some other form of biomass that can actually create heat via decomposition.) Gravel, clay, sand... each will hold heat as well as the other, within reason, when not exposed to the air or running water.

With a relatively large surface area I would think there'd be a much larger swing in temp. Maybe because you're up north and it's just colder in general?

steve

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by tarmad View Post
      You are going to have to fast them in another week to get them ready for the show.
      That is true Rick but I've got several that need to grow another inch or two before April 1st.
      GG

Joey S is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Oakridge View Post
      That is true Rick but I've got several that need to grow another inch or two before April 1st.
      GG
      Good luck with that. You might want to check their current size and fast sooner. That is if another inch would bump them into the next size category. That happened with us last weekend. Three of the 4 were just an inch into the next size. That hurts - competing with their bigger peers.
      For the love of Koi
      Don't Sweat the Small Stuff

Lifetime Charter Diamond Member #4 WWKC

JOIN THE WorldWide Koi Club NOW

Certified Koi Keeper (CKK)

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Joey S View Post
      Good luck with that. You might want to check their current size and fast sooner. That is if another inch would bump them into the next size category. That happened with us last weekend. Three of the 4 were just an inch into the next size. That hurts - competing with their bigger peers.
      OUCH !!!!!!! That would be a bummer but is looks like you did OK anyway. Congrats!!! GG

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Pond,James_Pond View Post
      That is interesting, clm. Dirt is dirt, earth is earth. (unless we're talking about a peat bog or some other form of biomass that can actually create heat via decomposition.) Gravel, clay, sand... each will hold heat as well as the other, within reason, when not exposed to the air or running water.

With a relatively large surface area I would think there'd be a much larger swing in temp. Maybe because you're up north and it's just colder in general?

steve
      I don't think it's because of where I'm located. Get's mighty warm here in summer and I'm further south than some of those in the Northern US states. Clay does take a lot longer to warm up in spring, anyone who has ever tried to garden in it knows that's a given. I truly think it's density has something to do with why my pond does not have large temp swings.

So back to food, ha, ha, do you feed something different to fish getting ready for a show in spring/summer or fall? Why do you fast before a show?

clm

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by clm View Post
      I don't think it's because of where I'm located. Get's mighty warm here in summer and I'm further south than some of those in the Northern US states. Clay does take a lot longer to warm up in spring, anyone who has ever tried to garden in it knows that's a given. I truly think it's density has something to do with why my pond does not have large temp swings.

So back to food, ha, ha, do you feed something different to fish getting ready for a show in spring/summer or fall? Why do you fast before a show?

clm
      Some people do feed their fish differently before shows but we don't. Fish are fasted five or six days before a show to reduce the ammonia and fish poop in their tank at the show. GG

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007