• Tired

Thread: Need Help finding a Chlorine filter for the Pond

Gonzo is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Need Help finding a Chlorine filter for the Pond

Hey Folks,

Since I only have household water to fill the pond I wanted to add a "whole house water filter" to remove chlorine.
      Went to Home Depot, and only found a large filter but the cartridge was like 40 bucks, and filtered all sorts of things. I really just want to remove Chlorine.
      Does anyone have a good suggestion or link for me to find this kind of water filter. Large volume, about 2,000 gallons a week.

Thanks for any help
      Gonzo

majederr is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If you were going to fill slowly, you could try filing a large filter canister with activated charcoal, but I guess that depends on the amount of chlorine you are dealing with. Might want to just buy a dechlorinator in bulk to use when changing water

MikeS is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I use a whole house filter, with a charcoal filter and bush it down to garden hose connections
      Mike & Sharon Shaw
      Jonesborough TN

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=437164

Pond,James_Pond is offline Senior Member
      is Let 'em eat Manda Foo!

Feeling:
      Friendly

I just ordered this from Pure Water Products:

(gh101) Garden Hose Filter White $37.00 X 1 = $37.00
      (fc001) MatriKX+1 CB 2.5 in. X 9.75 in. $18.90 X 2 = $37.80
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------
      Product Total $74.80
      Shipping (UPS Ground (Cont. U.S. Onl) $0.00
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------
      Grand Total $74.80

It is designed to remove chlorine and chloramine from hose water. Perfect for our ponds.

steve

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by majederr View Post
      If you were going to fill slowly, you could try filing a large filter canister with activated charcoal, but I guess that depends on the amount of chlorine you are dealing with. Might want to just buy a dechlorinator in bulk to use when changing water
      I want to do a trickle thru, Could I use a whole house filter and just fill it with activated charcoal (no cartrage)??? The cartrage is expensive

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
      I use a whole house filter, with a charcoal filter and bush it down to garden hose connections
      My problem is I cannot find a whole house filter with just a carbon filter. They are all for sediment, sand, etc and are about 34/ea. I would like to plumb the whole house filter into my pvc line to the pond and just remove chlorine.

Is this possible???

Sigma Koi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I just built a carbon filter for my 1000 gallon pond. I am flowing about 4gph through it (about 10% daily change). I have measured the chlorine level using an Exact Micro7 digital meter. Before filter chlorine level is 0.31ppm, after is 0.00ppm. They are easy to build, mine is just a series of four 1.5" PVC pipes each 3' tall filled with AC. The water has to enter the bottom and upflow through the first pipe then down through the second pipe... Overall the water has to travel through 12' of AC before it gets to the pond.

Raymond.

nmtsaki is offline Senior Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is hating changing her status yet
      again.

Feeling:
      Cool

Why? is dechlorinator too expensive? (just asking!) Another thing with cartridges (if you do find something down the line) - is that they may not last as long as they are rated. You will need to periodically test the water coming out of the cartridge for chlorine, which will indicate that the filter is going bad. I have heard of people whose filter has gone bad (or came bad) long before it was rated to, and lost their fish. Not saying it's typical, but it's worth a head's up to say so now.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I do a flow through for continuous change of 10% daily, but the other reason is during refill after backwashing. I just walk away from the pond and never have to worry about forgetting that the hose is running.

Raymond.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma Koi View Post
      I just built a carbon filter for my 1000 gallon pond. I am flowing about 4gph through it (about 10% daily change). I have measured the chlorine level using an Exact Micro7 digital meter. Before filter chlorine level is 0.31ppm, after is 0.00ppm. They are easy to build, mine is just a series of four 1.5" PVC pipes each 3' tall filled with AC. The water has to enter the bottom and upflow through the first pipe then down through the second pipe... Overall the water has to travel through 12' of AC before it gets to the pond.

Raymond.
      This sounds better than the other soultions. Did you make a design or draw a plan for it??? If you did could you email the paln? Gonzo3298@comcast.net
      Also, how do you change the AC??
      I have set up a flow thru, I neglected to put any type of dechlorinator in the line. (I can use dechlorinator for refilling after backwashing the filters). I am looking for about a 10% change a week, actually a little more. I would like to run it at about 200 gallons a week on the trickle flow.

Thank you for your help,
      Gonzo

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'm no artist, but I hope you'll get the point. Repeat the pattern of pipes as many times as you want. The only tricky part is gluing the small piece of PVC pipe into the bottom to hold the knockout cap in place.

Raymond.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

majederr is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I just used an old inline whole house filter container I had(4' high x 10' diameter) and purchased the activated carbon online. I am on a well and usually have no worries with chlorine, but we bleach our wells from time to time and there is always chlorine residue in the well for what seems like forever. Wasn't worried about the house as eventually it will fade but could do no water changes on the pond and QT's if I didn't rig something up. This works well for me, but depending on how much chlorine you actually have in your water and how much water you will be exchanging, the AC could become exhausted pretty quickly. Will the filter be designated for the pond only? If not and it will be used for the house as well , then you will go through the AC much quicker and this option may not be financially feasible in the end. I was very uncomfortable even using the AC at the time and was out there testing the incoming water every half hour to make sure no chlorine was present.I would of much rathered used ST but could not find a source for it quick enough and of course my fish decide spawing was a good idea during well chlorinating time. I am not exactly sure how long ac works for or how much chlorine it can handle, just know that fish don't like it and I am assuming even small doses would not be good. I also did not use the aquarium chlorine test kits as I find they are not as accurate as the ones found at the pool stores. Aquarium test kits said no chlorine was present but the pool store test kit said it was. Maybe meters are more accurate.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma Koi View Post
      I'm no artist, but I hope you'll get the point. Repeat the pattern of pipes as many times as you want. The only tricky part is gluing the small piece of PVC pipe into the bottom to hold the knockout cap in place.

Raymond.
      WOW, Raymond!!! Thank you so much for the effort and explanation, I am going to try and attempt this set up. I may put in more collums. I think the cost of the AC vs the whole house filter will work far better since I am only trying to reduce the chlorine.

As I said I have a flow through trickle, and when I used it I killed one of my Koi, and the others were not looking great, but recovered after the chlorine neutralizer was added.

I also agree the pool test kits seems to work better on the pond. During the above incident, my wife used the spa chlorine kit at it showed chlorine, whereas the other did not. We were not sure, but the dechlorinator saved the other 4 koi, so live and learn.

Raymond, again thank you, Bill

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Glad to help Bill. One thing I accidentally left out was the stainless steel screen on the inlet and outlet of each assembly. It keeps the AC in place in the event that you need to disassemble the unit. This is a basic answer to a need. I'm sure with a little thought, it can be bettered. I took my inspiration for this project from the Nov/Dec Koi USA magazine wherein Steve C. built one that removes chlorine, binds ammonia and filters out iron in his source water. Check that design out for a different way of doing it than mine.

Raymond.