• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: no tpr, pond vacuum??

zeroburnz3 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

no tpr, pond vacuum??

I have a 2300g pond, 5ft deep, but I have no tprs. My set up is two 3inch koi toilet bd, to 300g vortex, to pump, to 55g s/g filter and 55g fluid bed.

My questions is since I have no tprs the bottom of the pond is not as clean as it should be. Therefore, should I get a pond vacuum to clean the bottom? How often do I need to need the clean the bottom? I can also use the vacuum to clean my sc chamber, right? What vacuum do you recommend I get for this size pond?

I just have three 6inch starter koi to cycle my pond since it is a month old. I will only have five koi once the pond cycles.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

pearlharborday is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

what type pump do you have,,,,reason I'm asking is if you have an external with a couple ball valves and a simple pool vacum kit ,,,you can use your pump to power the vacum.........................but your settlement chamber would be the challenge with that set up....but a bulkhead and few few more valves it can be done...........not up for a plumbing project??? .....many seem to like the OASE pond vac.............I know from personal experience the matala brand one was nothing more than a fancy shop vac.....................................as for how often to vacum,,,,simple if ya have gunnk sitting on the bottom,,,,well vacum it

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

A vacuum is an option but another thing that might work is to use air diffusers to help move the water and keep the bottom clean. Do you have air going in the pond?
      The same approach could be used to help get the crud out of your sc totes. I do something similar when cleaning out the barrel sc on my qt. Isolate the sc, turn on the diffusers to stir up the crud/water and drain it. I do have to fill it about 1/4 of the way with water after the first draining and repeat the process but after the second draining it's very clean.

Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

birdman is offline DIY Savant
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I wouldn't worry about your bottom for now. Once you get your new fish, and more fish, they will do alot to help sweep your bottom. After you get your fish, then if your not happy with the bottom look for a pond-o-vac 3 or 4. They are really nice.

mpageler is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I would look at adding a disfussor before buying a vacum. In the old water gardening, I put a disk disfussor on the bottom of a pond with no BD, for aeration. Was in the pond shortly after and though I stepped on a dead koi. Turned out that the sand/gravel from past tipped over plant pots, had been "blown" in a dune on the bottom. That's when I become a believer in aerated BDs for the new pond. As Birdman stated, fish moving also helps with the circulation in keeping water somewhat buoyant until it can be picked up by the BD.
      MN Mike

5400g 10'x14'x 5
      Dry Stacked Block Walls - Drop-in Liner
      4" BD - Cetus Seive - DIY Skimmer
      125g MB w/8ft2 Biollow9
      Converted Trition II Sand Filter

My Pond Construction
      My QT Tank
      My Indoor Overwintering Tank
      Calculating K1 Bio Media

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

i don't have air going in my pond. I do have an airtech 40 pump, but that is being used for my fluid bed filter. Can i used this air pump for the filter and to aerate the pond or do I need another air pump for the pond?

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

In your current situation, not having air, I would suggest purchasing the Pond O Vac IV as pearlharborday mentioned. We use a model 3 on the job when cleaning clients ponds and they work extremely well. And, yes, you could also use it to clean out the settlement chamber.

I wouldn't wait until you get other/more fish. If your plan is for only five, you won't get than much "fin action" to keep the bottom clean. And, it sounds like it will be quite a while before this even occurs. I do like your stocking density convictions. Just hope it's able to hold up against your will to have "just one more"!?

I agree with mpageler though about air diffusers in the pond. As you don't obviously have aerated bottom drain domes, you can purchase the new line of air "domed" diffuser units from: fancykoioutlet.com. These would be equally effective. I would suggest two and use a separate air pump of at least 60lpm to run them.

Mike
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

instead of using air domes, can't I just use two air stone?

Sp00ks is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have an AP-60 running two 9" diffusers. One in my moving bed and one inside the Q/T and the AP-60 is barely enough to drive both diffusers. I would pick up another 40 and run yours independently if it were me.
      Jerry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
      - Thomas A. Edison

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I will get only five koi, but what I want is to raise them to grow to their full potential (large koi). I read on koiphen where some say to feed your fish as much as the filter can hold. What does that mean? How will I know if I am feeding too much that my filter cant take it. Regarding filter, do they mean bio filter or fine/mechanical filter? Is there a temp rang of how often I should feed? Also, how much should I feed? I read to feed 2 percent of their total body weight, but how much is that? When feeding, do i feed one handful each time for five small koi?

For example on temp:
      50-60 feed once a day
      60-70 twice a day
      70-80 four times a day
      80-90 five times a day
      Last edited by zeroburnz3; 03-06-2011 at 05:25 PM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Sp00ks View Post
      I have an AP-60 running two 9" diffusers. One in my moving bed and one inside the Q/T and the AP-60 is barely enough to drive both diffusers. I would pick up another 40 and run yours independently if it were me.
      instead of air diffusers, can I use air stones? Is there a difference between the two?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Air stones and diffusers are essentially the same thing. Lots of options when selecting them.
      A good read is the info from Aquatic-Eco Systems. Not saying you need to purchase there but they are good about giving you an idea of what the different ones do.

http://www.aquaticeco.com/search/0/diffuser

I supplement the air in my pond when the weather is warmer. I have a giant tube diffuser made by Matala. It's been a revelation how much crud it kicks up off the bottom. The crud is then picked up by the filters. I run it on an 80l air pump but my pond is almost twice the size of yours.
      A suggestion if I may... use weighted air line when placing the diffusers if you want them to stay on the bottom. I learned that through trial and error.

Sp00ks is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I would use some type of air tube like Maryiln suggests. I had a heck of a time getting that air diffuser to stay on the bottom in my Q/T. I was surprised how buoyant they are.

Feeding, I believe what your referring to is how much poop your filter can combat Without ammonia spikes etc. I'll let someone more knowledgeable than me respond to that one. Maybe how much your filtration can handle vs. your filter per say.
      Jerry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
      - Thomas A. Edison

pearlharborday is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

these 1 1/2"x 6"....stones wont float...........
      http://skpcandpondco.web.officelive.com/AIRSTONES.aspx

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'll try and tackle some of the feeding questions. Basically, the more food koi ingest the more ammonia they produce.
      When feeding is geared toward what your filter can handle that means feed as much as you filtration can convert and not have residual ammonia and/or nitrItes present.
      This is where testing your water comes in very very handy.

If there is an ammonia or nitrItes reading, your filters aren't keeping up with what you're trying to do. Each system is different so you'll have to find out what works for yours. There isn't an absolute. As your filters are working harder to convert more ammonia they also need more alkalinity/KH.

I would suggest you not feed very heavily when the water is over 80 degrees. My fish and filters seem to do the best when the water temp is in the mid 70s.
      That is when I feed the most and the filters handle it best. In the summer I use an auto feeder and feed small amounts every other hour during daylight. Smaller feedings more often rather than really heavy feedings a couple of times a day.
      I increase their feedings gradually to get to that schedule.

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by zeroburnz3 View Post
      instead of using air domes, can't I just use two air stone?
      As Marilyn stated, they're basically the same thing, just a different shape. Yes, use "weighted" air lines to connect them to the pump and a manifold with valves to control the flow to each. Oh, and don't use those silly metal ones that have a bunch of small spurs on them. You want at least 3/8" I.D. tubing to get the best air flow. Check out the website I gave you along with Aquatic EcoSystems site and decide what works better for you.

I agree with Marilyn's assessment on the feeding. Even 5 fish in a pond that size, you'll probably get them to about 24" or so.Maybe a little bit more. It's more about the filtration and turnover in a pond that size AND how much maintenance time you're willing to spend.

Mike
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Sigma Koi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Lets find out why your current equipment is doing the job. For example, why aren't two 3" bottom drains keeping 2300gal of water clean? I bet you aren't flowing enough water through them to be effective. What are your pond dimensions and flow through each bottom drain? Also, do you have rocks on the bottom?

Raymond.

creekds is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have one corner that seems to collect leaves. Bought a pool telescoping net for $17.98 at Home Depot. What I don' get is pushed toward the BD.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007