• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Build Thread "My Wife's big hole in the ground" (her idea for the title)

Sp00ks is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Build Thread "My Wife's big hole in the ground" (her idea for the title)

Mod's can change the title if found offensive......I thought it was quite funny. She didn't think I would use it, after just shy of 20 years of marriage, you would think she would know me better than that

I almost didn't start a build thread but the wife pointed out how much I have enjoyed reading others and how much I have learned from reading others so I saw the light.

I had to rebuild my upper pond because it was basically a water garden. We were discussing it over an adult beverage one evening and she said "go big or go home" well it's big for us and our yard anyway. It is also what we can afford right now. She saw our Koi guys personal fish and how big they were and I told her ours would probably not get that big in the little pond we had. Also Brady's old girl had a lot to do with it. If he reads this, he will know which one we mean, and those that have visited Brady will likely know.

I have moved the fish to a 12' Intex pool and ripped out our two small existing ponds. The back yard looks like a tornado hit it. I don't have any pictures yet but will get some in the coming weeks. I just went back and looked at the pics of what we had, I'm almost sad as it was looking so nice. But that's progress I suppose and the fish will certainly love it.

I hired a contractor today to at least dig the hole. He is quoting me on the block work etc. as well. He should be able to start by next Saturday. I should have a quote for all of it by Monday. So he says..... He has a few concerns with the house foundation so we may have to move it a little but will cross that road when we come to it. As we were discussing things, he said he could quote the plumbing and all. I told him I would do the plumbing, he asked if those were 2" lines coming from my bottom drains and I replied "that is exactly why I am doing the plumbing, those are 4" lines" He grinned and said "Holy cow, your moving some water".

He will at least get the hole dug, tamp it, lazer level, bottom drain line trenches, etc etc. We will wait on the quote for the rest. I would really like to have someone do the block work to speed up the build and help save my already bad back.

The new pond will be 10'x20'x6 and a linear flow design. I have worked out a lot of the plumbing details with Birdman and have most of the equipment already. I lack one pump as I decided to add it after my order. I plan on 2 bottom drains each on it's own circuit and two skimmers on their own circuit. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 9k gallons and moving roughly 15k gallons an hour, 3" returns. I can't afford Cetus sieves right now and build the pond so I will add them later and use two 275g totes which I already have. 2 s/g filters on the skimmer circuit that will feed a large weir. (I hope, haven't worked the details out on that yet).

The plan is to get everything functional this year before fall. Next year we will work on aesthetics. I really want to get the fish in it this year so I can use the Intex pool for a Q/T. My wife says "No more fish until the new pond is built" which is probably a good idea. No Rainblood, she doesn't wear the pants in the family, she is just driving me to actually finish my pond.... All the filtration from the previous pond was moved to the Q/T.

It's funny to think a couple of years ago we built a "water garden" and she didn't want any fish. Well she has seen the light and enjoy the Koi as much as I do. She just remembers the large fish tanks we used to have and the maintenance involved. She hasn't had to touch the pond much and everything with the new build is built for ease of care as best I can.

We are both very excited to see this project get started. I'll stop boring you guys with my idle rambling. I'll post more as it happens and get some pics and/or a plan up. I do have some drawings but not in jpg format at the moment. I hope someone else can learn as much as I did from the build.
      Last edited by Sp00ks; 03-04-2011 at 07:28 PM.
      Jerry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
      - Thomas A. Edison

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

sworley is offline Senior Member
      is Still loving my pond!

Feeling:
      Annoyed

I'm so looking forward to this build, Jerry! I'm sure it'll be a good one! Birdman was sooooo helpful to me - I couldn't have done it without him. I had help from other very knowledgeable folks here, too - they're all great, to me. Make sure you take lots of pics!

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is also strong enough to take away everything you have." -- Thomas Jefferson

Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
      Maxine

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

She is now embarrassed about the title.
      Jerry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
      - Thomas A. Edison

sworley is offline Senior Member
      is Still loving my pond!

Feeling:
      Annoyed

LOL - a moment of mirth can sometimes do that - no need to be embarrassed, though.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is also strong enough to take away everything you have." -- Thomas Jefferson

Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
      Maxine

mudcatslim is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Are you going to diagram the bottom contour. I am interested in the river flow design myself. I have read that without the right bottom it will not work. I may go that route. Thanks.

Popfish is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Sp00ks View Post
      Guess you better edit it.
      Charter Lifetime Diamond Member #5 of WWKC

Certified Koi Keeper(CKK)

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Oh No! The title stays unless it offends someone. I thought it would definitely be an attention getter.

Bottom Contour: 20' length: 4' will be flat and contain the bottom drains. Then it will rise about a foot to the other end. It was suggested that I rise to 4' but I want the additional water volume. I considered making it perfectly flat but listened to the voice of experience. I learned the hard way to listen to the voice of experience
      Jerry

- Thomas A. Edison

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Here is a really bad version of the build plan.

If you want a larger version.... Pond_Plan.pdf
      Jerry

- Thomas A. Edison

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If that is a bad version a good one would scare me silly.
      Congrats on getting it rolling. I'm looking forward to this.

Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

CYPHER is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Very nice diagram and concept, Jerry. I'll be watching with great anticipation as you move forward on this build. What are you planning on doing for waterproofing? Xypex concentrate over the block? Liner? Drop-in liner? Polyurea?

Are you insulating and/or heating? (Wish I would have taken this step...kickin' myself for it now).

David

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by Sp00ks View Post
      I've done the same thing... when it was in my head it was funny, and then I typed and it looked
      totally different.
      But I like her sense of humor

Looks like a great plan! Can't wait to follow along!
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks spooks, will be a waiting. I bet you get yours done way before mine.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Right now the plan is block with liner. However, I did discuss Shotcrete with the contractor tonight. He said he would give me the number for his shotcrete people. Even if I shotcrete, I would likely do a liner vs. waterproofing. However, I am uneducated because I haven't even considered it to this point. I would have to do some research. I think the only waterproofing I would consider is Polyurea from what I do know.

I am really building as funds and time allow. I should have enough to get things running. As long as I don't run into any disasters (construction or personal), it should work out. I have a budget set and so far I am sticking within my budget. I do have some funds I can tap into but don't want to. With that said, I do plan on installing water heating this fall. No radiant heating. The block should be set back about an inch to leave room for foam insulation board. I'll use that for underlayment on the sides.

This is a basic drawing of the pit. However, this is about 2 versions ago and some minor changes have been made. Steve gave me some good ideas for waste and ease of maintenance. Some of the plumbing is not exact for illustration purposes. (lines overlapping and you can't see them) Also, the pipe sizes are not illustrated. Sorry for the size, I don't feel like sizing it down. (Ha, forum software sized it down anyway)

If I hire the contractor to do the block work and beyond. I'll create some cut away views so as not to miss anything.

Jerry

- Thomas A. Edison

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by mudcatslim View Post
      Thanks spooks, will be a waiting. I bet you get yours done way before mine.
      I am very determined to get the fish in it before the end of summer. I Hope it all works out. Better to take your time and do it once. This is my 3rd pond and my first sizable pond.
      Jerry

- Thomas A. Edison

rainblood is offline Assembler of Water Droplets
      is The Plantinator

Feeling:
      Piratey

Hey, we can race
      -Rain

:I CAN'T BRING THIS SHIP INTO TRTUGA ALL BY ME ONESIES, SAVVY?:

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by rainblood View Post
      Hey, we can race
      Ha, I'm afraid to take that challenge. Especially with the lead you have on me.
      Jerry

- Thomas A. Edison

jonathan is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

This is gonna be a good thread. Ill be watching it.
      Friends now and forever, across a great divide. Fish brought us together, but hearts of one mind keep us together. Joey S.

birdman is offline DIY Savant
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Good to see your thread here Jerry. It will be fun watching your build.

powerman is offline Supporting Member
      is Still koi keeping

Feeling:
      ----

Looking forward to seeing your progress.... congratulations on getting your plan and getting started on it
      DAN

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Great to see you starting, good luck! And have fun to!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast