• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Swimming pool to pond conversion

khangv is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I think it about 10000 gallons plus filter chamber is 2200 gallon. But i want it total under 10000 gallon. About skimmer i think after build the wall it will block the skimmer. I have to build the new one. Steve i don't understand you mean Use a couple of waterway in wall gunite type skimmers in the new pond/filter dividing wall. Can you explain for me please?. about the filter system and skimmer. can i run all separate line to SC then go to JM then BIO then 2 pumps back to pond. I'm not doing anythings until i understand what I'm doing. also, i will draw my plan and get OK from experience people on this website.
      Last edited by khangv; 01-16-2011 at 10:26 PM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

jtp79 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by khangv View Post
      I think it about 10000 gallons plus filter chamber is 2200 gallon. But i want it total under 10000 gallon. About skimmer i think after build the wall it will block the skimmer. I have to build the new one. Steve i don't understand you mean Use a couple of waterway in wall gunite type skimmers in the new pond/filter dividing wall. Can you explain for me please?. about the filter system and skimmer. can i run all separate line to SC then go to JM then BIO then 2 pumps back to pond. I'm not doing anythings until i understand what I'm doing. also, i will draw my plan and get OK from experience koi builder and keeper on this website.

Waterway is a type/brand of skimmers. I think Steve is meaning to instill these in the new wall that you are going to build to seperate the pool and the filter pit.

khangv is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks. Here is my filter system design please give me advice. The pond about 9000 gallon.
      SC=900 gallon(10% of pond) . I'm not sure if mech and bio filter enough for the pond.
      Last edited by khangv; 01-18-2011 at 01:55 AM.

birdman is offline DIY Savant
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by jtp79 View Post
      Waterway is a type/brand of skimmers. I think Steve is meaning to instill these in the new wall that you are going to build to seperate the pool and the filter pit.
      Yes, that is what I mean. Here's some pictures of the two waterway skimmers I installed in my new gunite pond, and my old block pond. Yours would be the same,except yours would go in the new dividing wall, not the perimeter wall as mine.
      Attached Images Attached Images      
      Last edited by birdman; 01-18-2011 at 09:45 AM.

khangv is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Steve,
      what do you think about my filter system above.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Steve,
      what do you think about my filter system above.
      What's in the bio and mech chambers? How are you going to get in a 2 1/2 foot wide space to seal it? How are you going to seal it? Or are these separate set in place tanks?

khangv is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I think he put Japan mats on it. about the seal I'm not sure how he do it. I think I will go with your idea put 2 seives then go to bio filter may be bakki shower. can the shower out put
      under the pond water level? can this filter will be enough for the 10000 gallon pond?
      Last edited by khangv; 01-19-2011 at 05:48 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yes a 4 foot set of showers would be enough for your pond. What I like to do is run each 4" BD into a Cetus Sieve, then take suction from both Cetus Sieves with an Evolution ESBB 10500 pump to feed the shower. The outlet of this shower should be two 4" lines, Set your shower trays so the bottom is just above your waterfall and let them feed your waterfall.

Ramzy is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Wow!

khangv is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi Steve,
      Can the shower out put to TPRs and waterfall. Please take a look at new draw. the shower unit will put in pool filter location. how about skimmer?
      Last edited by khangv; 01-20-2011 at 08:13 PM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yes a shower can feed TPRs. You will need to make a manifold with 4" pipe coming off the shower, with 4by4by2 inch tees. With one 2" line for each 2" TPR. Run one of the 4" shower output lines to your waterfall and the other to the TPR manifold.

andres58 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
      Yes a shower can feed TPRs. You will need to make a manifold with 4" pipe coming off the shower, with 4by4by2 inch tees. With one 2" line for each 2" TPR. Run one of the 4" shower output lines to your waterfall and the other to the TPR manifold.
      gravity fed TPR's?
      Jorge

mtsklar is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

yes several have done this with great success

mpageler is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Can the shower out put to TPRs and waterfall. Please take a look at new draw. the shower unit will put in pool filter location. how about skimmer?
      To serve a waterfall the shower would have to be raise even higher. The outflow from the bottome of the shower would have to be at the upper elevation of a waterfall. That's a nice plus in incorporating S/G filters into a waterfall. You pump into the lower section of the barrel and gravity flow thowards the top of the barrel which is at or near upper elevation of your waterfall. I don't remember if you stated a waterfall height. If it's a realatively short waterfall, then having to raising the shower excessively, may not be as much of an issue.
      MN Mike

5400g 10'x14'x 5
      Dry Stacked Block Walls - Drop-in Liner
      4" BD - Cetus Seive - DIY Skimmer
      125g MB w/8ft2 Biollow9
      Converted Trition II Sand Filter

My Pond Construction
      My QT Tank
      My Indoor Overwintering Tank
      Calculating K1 Bio Media

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

As your new drawing shows 4 tprs in the shallow end, that would need roughly 1500-2000gph for EACH TPR. I would recommend sending all the shower return water to these. I would also add a second skimmer on the wall opposite the waterfall. The water from the skimmers would go to the pump, then a bead filter/UV and return feed the waterfall. That way you don't need to worry about what height the waterfall needs to be. The only thing that would need to be above the current pond level would be the showers. So, in Steve's designed showers with TWO 4" returns on the shower tray bottom, run each to a separate manifold for two tprs each. That should get you somewhere around 2000gph for each tpr.

Mike
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

khangv is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

look like a good plan for the filter system. Next question is how to clean the pool get ready for the fish? about the new concrete do i need to coat it? do i need to paint the pool to black color. do i need to hire company to do it or DIY
      Thanks

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

look like a good plan for the filter system. Next question is how to clean the pool get ready for the fish? about the new concrete do i need to coat it? do i need to paint the pool to black color. do i need to hire company to do it or DIY
      Thanks
      If you shoot a new gunite shell complete with rebar, I would recommend using Xypex Admix added to the Gunite. Then, two coats of Xypex Concentrate brushed on the interior. The second coat is where you add the black dye coloring to make the pond black. You will need to hire a contractor who knows what he's doing for the rebar/gunite part. If you know what you're doing, you could do the Xypex Concentrate on the finish yourself.

Mike
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

vipertom1970 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

why not raise the wall to what ever height you want it and design to look like a castle with sheer decent water fall in the middle, put two new pilasters on each side of the existing hardscape and tie the new wall to it. I will not cost that much more plus your equipment will be hidden. As far as plumbing and filtration I will leave it to others.
      Last edited by vipertom1970; 01-23-2011 at 01:20 AM.

khangv is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

if the pool still have water. what should i do to clean the pool before do the xypex concentrate. a bout the wall I want to fill the pool to 4' then raise it up to 17". do you think it is ok to build it with block.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You will be building a block dividing wall across your pool, for the filter pit. And filling it a foot or so to cover the new BDs. Your pool will have to be coated with something. Polyurea is the best,but most expensive as it has to be done by a professional. There are several paint on coatings you can do your self. Talk to Mike,Koiman 1950 about Nelsonite coatings. This is a CA. company he has used.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast