• Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Swimming pool to pond conversion

khangv is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Swimming pool to pond conversion

Hi all,
      I been reading this website for over 2 years. Now i will start convert my swimming pool to koi pond. I need all expert suggestion. The pool shallow is 3.5 and deep is 8.5. the pool long 28 and wide is 12. I want the pond is 2 feet above the ground. what should i do. do i need filled at the deep of the pool to equal with 3.5 then build the wall and drop in liner or just build the wall without fill the pool.
      Thanks.
      Last edited by khangv; 01-17-2011 at 06:15 AM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

majederr is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Wow, a built in QT(jacuzzi) Will let the people that have done this respond to you as I have never done anything like that but love the idea.

Kent Wallace is offline The luckiest man in the world
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You have to decide where you will put the filtration. The deep end is best because the shallow end appears to be toward the house. You have lots of options. I'll put together some of them.

khangv is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Wallace View Post
      You have to decide where you will put the filtration. The deep end is best because the shallow end appears to be toward the house. You have lots of options. I'll put together some of them.
      the white fence is the pool filter. I want to put at that side. also the deep end has the circle shape. I not sure if i can use the pool bottom drain. Please draw me the plan to get the ideal. Also i want to build the water fall next to the filter side.
      Thanks kent.
      Last edited by khangv; 01-14-2011 at 04:28 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The Jacuzzi and the filter area are well located for a conversion.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Are you planning on doing this yourself or are you going to hire a contractor?
      With a raised wall conversion it will be a more formal look.
      Do you want a more still pond look or a waterfall or spill?
      What do you intend the raised portion to look like from the outside? Do you want it to match the house, have tile, a stone surface etc? What do you wish the top cap to look like?

khangv is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I always want professional do it for me but finance is the problem at this time. I will see all the comments from experience people here then make decision after that. For the pond I want it look like the pond first maybe 20% is water fall look. The portion and the cap I just want it simple for now. I will decorate it later on.

tnovak is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Nice pool!!!!!! Should make a heck of a pond!!!!
      TINA
      Indian Echo
      [URL="http://www.worldwidekoiclub.org/index.php"]

khangv is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks. there are more pics to make it easy with the idea.
      Last edited by khangv; 01-17-2011 at 08:14 AM.

mpageler is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Filtration for a koi pond is totally different that what would be used for a pool or even fa "water garden". You might take a read of the "filtration basis" section in the "FYI" sticky thread at the top of the construction forum. One of the issues with pool to pond conversion is that they are so big. I think one plus for you is the 12 width. This is narrow enought for easily catching koi when eeded. Fitler pit in the deep end is an option as Kent mentions. Ideally, you strive for 4" BD drains (larger foot print ponds) that gravity flow to pre-fitlration such as SC or Seives. As a result, this filtration generally needs to be in a filter pit.
      MN Mike

5400g 10'x14'x 5
      Dry Stacked Block Walls - Drop-in Liner
      4" BD - Cetus Seive - DIY Skimmer
      125g MB w/8ft2 Biollow9
      Converted Trition II Sand Filter

My Pond Construction
      My QT Tank
      My Indoor Overwintering Tank
      Calculating K1 Bio Media

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

You mean, something along these lines?

Mike
      Attached Images Attached Images     
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Pond James_Pond is offline Senior Member
      is Let 'em eat Manda Foo!

Feeling:
      Friendly

Yeah baby, Yeah!!

steve

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Don't get too excited Steve! This pool was smaller than most at roughly 9500gal, and 3' depth at the ends and 5' at the drain. It utilizes all the original plumbing (not recommended for most) as I had to make certain concessions with the DW. I'm sure you all know how that goes. But, the conversion was done in Feb. 2003, and took all of a holiday weekend to complete!!! Overall, I have had no problems with the system I installed ever(knock on wood)! Mostly luck, for sure!!!

Mike
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

khangv is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

That is nice pond Mike. Can you show me your system setup please. I could not find your the post.
      Sorry for late update. There are my 2 options that I am thinking right now. I need input from experts please
      Option 1: build the wall at deep end with 5 small chamber for SC-Japan mat- japan mat-pumps- one go to TPRs and another pump go to waterfall.
      Option 2: fill the deep end to 5’ then put 2 4” BD then run the line through the Jacuzzi wall (because the wall between Jacuzzi and the pool have one hole already. May be break the wall and run BDs line to that then fill it up. BDs line will lower then pool water level. Then go to sieves then bakki shower to pond or to waterfall. option1 will cost 4000$ just to build the wall and 4 small chamber for the filter system. The guy I met at koi store will do it for me. he had converted his pool to koi pond His plan is to put about 6 4”DIY BDs to one line then go to SC. I’m not sure if it ok. The option2 I may DIY. Please help me to go the right direction.
      Thanks
      Last edited by khangv; 01-16-2011 at 01:16 AM.

birdman is offline DIY Savant
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Your lucky that the deep end is farthest from the house. As you can easily incorporate some kind of decorative fence like a bamboo fence to hide the filter pit.
      I would fill the deep end from 8.5 feet to 7.5 feet and incorporate two 4" Koi Toilet 1 BDs in the deep end. I would then wall off the deep end at the 5 foot corned like your thinking. There's lots of ways you can go from there.
      Cheapest would be to take the 1st 5 feet and make a 5 by 5 foot settling chamber for the BDs. Then gravity flow from there to a 2nd chamber built as a moving bed. Then pump, to some kind of mech filter, such as a bead filter or DIY sand/Gravel filters.
      Another option would be to run the two 4" BDs into two Cetus Sieves, then pump, to a moving bed filter in some kind of DIY container like a metal framed poly tote. This tote would have to be elevated a foot or so above pond water level so the water can gravity flow out of it to the pond. The Cetus Sieves are more money, but going this way would eliminate two block walls in your filter pit.

I assume your pond has a skimmer some where. Your skimmer circuit would be easy to fix. Probably a 2" line coming out of it. Probably going to a high HP pump then to a swimming pool sand filter. Just replace the swimming pool pump with a pond pump, replace the sand filter with the biggest bead filter you can, like the Advantage 15. And add a good UV to this system big enough for your pond.

khangv is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi Steve,
      I like the first option because 1 guy I just know willing to build filter system for 4000$. He will build the wall at deep end with 4 chambers in there. First is S.C—Japan mat—Japan mat- pumps---to pond. I ask him I want 2 4” BDs but he said he will build every 4 feet he put one 4” pipe not the koi toile. Then all 4” pipe will connect to 1 main 4” line go to SC. I do not know if that is correct way. About the skimmer it located at deep end next to swimming pool ladder. When the filter builds it will block it. Do you have any idea where can I put the skimmer any other skimmer option? And where the line will go to?
      Thanks.

andres58 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

4 BD seem too many. Two 4" should be ample. Its all about the minimum suction (water velocity) required to move debris efficiently into the gravity feed SC.

The wall compartment at the deep end is a wonderful idea for filtration.

Three chambers.......One big settling tank as Steve suggested to settle big debris, one with fine Matala to capture finer debris and one fluid bed with media and lots of air for Bio conversion.

Strategically locate TPR's to move debris towards deep end.

Skimmer stream just as Steve suggested but would tie in to a secondary "mid colum" intake. This will provide max volume for a Bakki Shower to remove DOC's. You have plenty of room to hide one.........

I would "round" all 90 degree turns......

What is the estimated volume?......

As much of a pain in the *** it may be initially provide for all filtration basics......... and you'll have years of enjoyment without wishing what if.

Great Project and even better layout.
      Last edited by andres58; 01-16-2011 at 09:53 AM.
      Jorge

mtsklar is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Anyone know how many gallons will be in the system ?

birdman is offline DIY Savant
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Do not tie the BD lines together, that will restrict your floe. Run all separate 4" BD lines into your settlement chamber.

Skimmer, Use a couple of waterway in wall gunite type skimmers in the new pond/filter dividing wall.

LilHoover is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Don't rush into paying someone 4k unless you work out all the details carefully. How many pools has this guy converted? Don't rush into anything because you will regret it.

Mistakes where koi ponds are concerned can get very, very expensive. Plan and replan. Get several estimates! You don't want to end up with serious and expensive problems.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast