• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new simple 5 gallon bucket filter

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Very useful info, Shorty. The warning is good to have on hand too.
      I often shift media around and wouldn't have thought to do that. If it's a small amount of media I usually do a PP dose then rinse, dry and store. Some media or the volume doesn't lend itself to that though.

Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

BigRedKoi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by caolewis View Post
      Can't find it. Can you pls provide a link for it?
      Here ya go guys check it out!

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...ons&highlight=
      Austin

Koi-keeping is a hobby that generates obsession.

BWK 5 gallon bucket challenge champion!

Sigma Koi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

deleted due to double post of the link...

Norm Walsh is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Shorty,

I appreciate your koi rescue efforts, and apologize for getting your thread off topic, keep up the good work.

I will leave you with this story that I posted on another thread..........

A Cup of Tea.

Nan-in, a Japanese master during the Meiji era (1868-1912), received a university professor who came to inquire about Zen.

Nan-in served tea. He poured his visitor's cup full and then kept on pouring.

The professor watched the overflow until he no longer could restrain himself. "It is overfull. No more will go in!"

"Like this cup," Nan-in said, "you are full of your own opinions and speculations. How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup?"

From "Zen Flesh Zen Bones" a collection of Zen and Pre-Zen writings by Paul Reps and Nyogen Sezaki.

I love a good red.

caolewis is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Walsh View Post
      Shorty,

I appreciate your koi rescue efforts, and apologize for getting your thread off topic, keep up the good work.

A Cup of Tea.

Nan-in, a Japanese master during the Meiji era (1868-1912), received a university professor who came to inquire about Zen.

The professor watched the overflow until he no longer could restrain himself. "It is overfull. No more will go in!"

"Like this cup," Nan-in said, "you are full of your own opinions and speculations. How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup?"

From "Zen Flesh Zen Bones" a collection of Zen and Pre-Zen writings by Paul Reps and Nyogen Sezaki.
      Yeah...get off this thread, j/d

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Shorty, here is my K1 barrel, It's boiling crazy but can't see from the photo
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Walsh View Post
      Shorty,

A Cup of Tea.

That was from Karate Kid, but you should think about it too.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

Shorty is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hey everyone, I just got a link from Paul Shanahan ("Paultergeist") on an experiment he ran, it is exactly the type of thing I was asking for earlier in this thread. Here it the link:

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...mparison+study

Great stuff!!! This is exactly the types of experiments we should be doing as a community. And hey, think about all the time and effort that we spend building new filters on some new theory, but realistically we like building filters for our ponds -- doing experiments like Paultergeist's can be just as fun!

Please go read his experiment thread, and think about what you would do different, and consider starting your own controlled experiment. And keep it mind that it doesn't matter if multiple people run the same experiment, because if the results are the same, they confirm each other. If the results are different, then it sheds light on variables that might not have been considered.

I have been stuck on thinking big tanks that I never considered easy small ones -- I've got 2 empty 55 gallon barrels out back that I might make good experiment tanks. Maybe run one with a K1 filter like I use, and the other with an MP2C Cermedia Marine Pure stone things. Although I have a feeling those will instantly clog up making the centers un-inhabitable for the good bacteria, a controlled experiment would yeild real data that other consumers can use when deciding what to use on their ponds.

Shorty
      Koi Rescue
      Life is an all-you-can-eat buffet, and I am a hungry sumo wrestler.

mtsklar is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi Shorty,
      Cermedia's porous ceramic substrates have been extensively tested in the lab and the field. I welcome your thoughts and ideas.

Would you like to have a conversation with me about why the Cermedia will not clog?

Regards,
      Matt Sklar

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by mtsklar View Post
      Hi Shorty,
      Cermedia's porous ceramic substrates have been extensively tested in the lab and the field. I welcome your thoughts and ideas.

Would you like to have a conversation with me about why the Cermedia will not clog?

Regards,
      Matt Sklar
      Maybe start another thread in Construction? I believe this thread is geared toward Shorty's bucket design and its function using the K1 media.
      I don't recall him mentioning the Cermedia in this thread. It initiated with other sources.
      Perhaps the convo could carry on over on the 5 gallon bucket challenge thread?

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

mtsklar is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hello Marilyn,

Actually Shorty does mention Cermedia in post #28. Shorty proposed a filter test or challenge with K1 VS. Cermedia.
      I welcome Shorty's ideas. The type of testing that he proposes will elevate the body of knowledge in the hobby.
      I have used the product for 3 years now and have tested it under some extreme conditions.
      I would appreciated participating in the conversation if Shorty is open to it.

Regards,
      Matt Sklar
      International Sales Manager
      Cermedia L.L.C.

Quote Originally Posted by ShortyPen View Post
      Hey everyone, I just got a link from Paul Shanahan ("Paultergeist") on an experiment he ran, it is exactly the type of thing I was asking for earlier in this thread. Here it the link:

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...mparison+study

Great stuff!!! This is exactly the types of experiments we should be doing as a community. And hey, think about all the time and effort that we spend building new filters on some new theory, but realistically we like building filters for our ponds -- doing experiments like Paultergeist's can be just as fun!

Please go read his experiment thread, and think about what you would do different, and consider starting your own controlled experiment. And keep it mind that it doesn't matter if multiple people run the same experiment, because if the results are the same, they confirm each other. If the results are different, then it sheds light on variables that might not have been considered.

I have been stuck on thinking big tanks that I never considered easy small ones -- I've got 2 empty 55 gallon barrels out back that I might make good experiment tanks. Maybe run one with a K1 filter like I use, and the other with an MP2C Cermedia Marine Pure stone things. Although I have a feeling those will instantly clog up making the centers un-inhabitable for the good bacteria, a controlled experiment would yeild real data that other consumers can use when deciding what to use on their ponds.

Shorty

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I understand that, Matt. He did address it in post 28.

After it was mentioned in posts 6, 8, 11, 15, 16, 17, 18... you get my point.

Hence my suggestion to move the conversation to a different thread.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn View Post
      I understand that, Matt. He did address it in post 28.

After it was mentioned in posts 6, 8, 11, 15, 16, 17, 18... you get my point.

Hence my suggestion to move the conversation to a different thread.
      Conversation or confrontation??

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Paultergeist's experiment was awsome, and I am going to follow his lead and run a similar experiment comparing K1 to Cermedia and see how they compare.

For the experiment I will run, will have 3 of 55 barrels.
      Barrel 1 - will have the bucket filter described at the start of this thread.
      Barrel 2 - will have Cermedia type bucket filter
      Barrel 3 - will have a bakki shower / TT type filter

Each barrel will have a single 250 gph pump running in the barrel to power the filters. The actual flow rate of the pumps will probably be more in the 160-200 gph range. Reason I am using those is because I have them in stock and can't really afford to buy new pumps.

If we could please, first discuss how the Cermedia bucket filter should be configured. I am skeptical about that media working, so I need advice from people that have actually used it, and their opinion on how to best setup the filter.

Also will need to figure how to make a bakki shower / TT type filter. I am very skeptical of those, so again, will need help designing one so it best performs as people believe they do.

I'll write up a full experiment description soon, but basically I'll mimic Paultergeist's by doing a new startup on all filters, but will probably continue to run each system longer to see some long term performance. Also will not be doing water changes other than to top off, to see what effect the filters have on the water (as opposed to a simple flow through setup).

Shorty
      Koi Rescue

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by caolewis View Post
      Shorty, here is my K1 barrel, It's boiling crazy but can't see from the photo
      Thanks for posting your picture. Now that I am starting to think about running side by side comparisons, one thing that I have sort of taken for granted is the effectiveness of K1, even if not boiling. In my bucket filter, the top layer is rather fixed in position, but the middle to bottom layers jostle and turn. But it does not boil, like you and many people have their system configured to do.

That boiling VS non-boiling K1 would be an interesting comparison. I guess the the objective of the study would be to find which configuration would handle the same load, with the least amount if K1.

Shorty
      Koi Rescue

sorebuttcheek is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Rather than use fish in the experiment, would it be possible to just add amonia and take measurements say every hour over a 24 hour period to calculate the removal rate?

Quote Originally Posted by ShortyPen View Post
      Paultergeist's experiment was awsome, and I am going to follow his lead and run a similar experiment comparing K1 to Cermedia and see how they compare.

For the experiment I will run, will have 3 of 55 barrels.
      Barrel 1 - will have the bucket filter described at the start of this thread.
      Barrel 2 - will have Cermedia type bucket filter
      Barrel 3 - will have a bakki shower / TT type filter

Each barrel will have a single 250 gph pump running in the barrel to power the filters. The actual flow rate of the pumps will probably be more in the 160-200 gph range. Reason I am using those is because I have them in stock and can't really afford to buy new pumps.

If we could please, first discuss how the Cermedia bucket filter should be configured. I am skeptical about that media working, so I need advice from people that have actually used it, and their opinion on how to best setup the filter.

Also will need to figure how to make a bakki shower / TT type filter. I am very skeptical of those, so again, will need help designing one so it best performs as people believe they do.

I'll write up a full experiment description soon, but basically I'll mimic Paultergeist's by doing a new startup on all filters, but will probably continue to run each system longer to see some long term performance. Also will not be doing water changes other than to top off, to see what effect the filters have on the water (as opposed to a simple flow through setup).

Shorty

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

re: new simple 5 gallon bucket filter

Quote Originally Posted by sorebuttcheek View Post
      Rather than use fish in the experiment, would it be possible to just add amonia and take measurements say every hour over a 24 hour period to calculate the removal rate?
      As for using just ammonia instead of live fish, that has been suggested before but I have not seen controlled experimentation proving that just ammonia will appropriately mimic a tank full of live fish.

I had some other stuff come up and the project got stalled, I have not worked on it further than just getting the barrels setup. Spawning is right around the corner and I'll be using the barrels for raising fry so won't be able to get back to this experiment for a while.

I guess I should also admit that part of my lack of progress is that my simple bucket filter and K1 media functions and performs so well, that comparing other media types which are likely not to perform as well isn't as high on my priority list of all the stuff I need to work on. I've also heard from others offline about how Cermedia clogs so quickly and that characteristic is so obvious that running a controlled experiment to prove that fact would be pointless.

The bakki shower / trickle tower (which are technically just forms of packed column aerators) are the real interesting areas to me. But thinking about it, would really need an oxygen meter to run that experiment properly.

Shorty
      Koi Rescue

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12