• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Oxytetracycline Hydrochloride Dose Levels in Koi Food?

619Ponder is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Oxytetracycline Hydrochloride Dose Levels in Koi Food?

While waiting for injectable Antibiotics to come in weeks I would like to start an Antibiotic Treatment in the Koi Food for 10 days. I found the directions for Koi Food Antibiotics to be very, very vague. All the research papers I can find deal with Adding Oxytetracycline Hydrochloride to water not to food.

Koi Fix is a antibiotic food additive I found that contains Oxytetracycline Hydrochloride and Neomycin. The dosage levels they suggest are very vague. Like X tablespoon per X lb of food.

Does anybody know what an actual dose level is for OTC in Koi by body weight and how that would convert into a dose level for feed?

Regulating how much a fish eats is probably even more difficult but at least this could be a start to getting antibiotics into the fish' blood.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

nmtsaki is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary
      is hanging in there, waiting for
      warmer weather

Feeling:
      Awesome

about halfway down, gives the dosage:

http://www.nationalfishpharm.com/art...aeromonas.html

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

619Ponder is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Ahhh the old 7.5 gram Tablespoon. Perfect. Just what I needed. Thank You. I poured over that website before and never saw that dosage. Thank You for the help.

I think the Aeromonas are exactly what I have. My Vet says that these water and food treatments will not get the antibiotics to the bacteria because they are in the flesh. He says injections that get the antibiotics into the blood and flesh are the only cure. He says to be aggressive though and I have to wait two weeks for the antibiotics to arrive so I am being aggressive now with what I have. I lost one already that got eaten down to the bones.

Incidentally I had the salt at .55-.60% for 30 days and it didn't do a thing to stop these bacteria. The National Fish Pharmaceuticals website has some good articles about the use of salt for anyone that mistakenly thinks Salt does anything.

nmtsaki is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary
      is hanging in there, waiting for
      warmer weather

Feeling:
      Awesome

Wow. Sorry to hear you are having such terrible issues. I always keep a stock of antibiotics on had, for dipping, just in case, and also some tricide neo. I also have a vet nearby that keeps baytril on hand, if I need to get a prescription for it. I don't like doing the injections myself, though, even though I have.

Good luck,

Nancy

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007