• Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miniature Filter Pit Build

aartwmich is offline Insatiably Curious Ponderer
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Miniature Filter Pit Build

I have a small water garden consisting of 2 preforms with miniature gravity fed filtration systems. The reseasons I don't build a big pond are numerable but was fascinated with the gravity feed filtration so I built a small one 5 years ago. It operates on all the same principles, it's just scaled down. As with large ponds, it's never done and I enjoy the heck outta tinkering with it.

Name:  2 level pond gravity filter.jpg
Views: 1807
Size:  28.2 KB

In 2007 I wanted to add filtration to my upper pond and had room for two 5 gal buckets. I decided on an SC that would be an 8 gal bucket, which is the same diameter but taller than a 5 gal, with tangential inflow and med solids/bio using a bag of shavings just below the outlet. The next 5 gal bucket would have a quilt batting bag on the inlet for fines and the pump in it.
      I dug a hole and added a uniseal to the preform. I got a 8’’ pvc pipe cap to use for a retro BD.
      The area is small..it’s a pondsai..... and I didn’t want a great ugly cover so I started working with a cardboard template for a nice curvy shape.
      I actually cut out a nice curvy plywood cover per the template but never got around to mosiacing it. I realized that I needed some kind of wall to around the pit. I played around with a scrap of fiberglass shower liner and covered the plywood with edpm and left it at that.

Name:  upper filter pit 4-30-07 6 sm.JPG
Views: 1089
Size:  103.7 KB

Name:  upper filter pit 4-30-07 5 sm.JPG
Views: 1089
Size:  104.0 KB

Name:  upper filter pit 4-30-07 8.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  108.5 KB

Summer 2007 ended up being a rough year, my old dog Maggie died.....
      she was a 12 year old GSD, St. Bernard/chow mix and a character until the day she dropped.
      Name:  maggie.jpg
Views: 1798
Size:  138.4 KB

.......and my new dog Rascal, a badly neglected 6 month old standard poodle came to live with us, so nothing more happened with the pit that summer.
      Name:  franco 3 sm50-50.jpg
Views: 1145
Size:  72.3 KB

Spring 2008 was designated filter pit build time...but the engine in my 1979 JD L&G Tractor bit the dust ......
      Name:  Dscn2950 crop.jpg
Views: 990
Size:  58.8 KB
      .......and so rebuilding that trumped working on the pit.
      Name:  engine pull.jpg
Views: 990
Size:  131.7 KB

Spring 2009!! Finally I have the time.....
      .... still unemployed since June 2008, and energy to do the curvy wall build. I had been thinking all this time about how can I do this, I am a design drafter by trade and have much experience in what looks good on paper cannot always be built. I knew the best way was to do a poured wall, but wasn’t sure how to build the form. So I started playing around with how tight a curve can shower liner sheet be bent to, I did some testing and decided it could be done. I cut out the shape for the inner form out of ˝’’ plywood and screwed the shower liner to the edge. I had needed to level both preforms and decided that the edge of the upper pond would be supported on a 2x4 that sat on the new wall. So I got the 2x4 in place and cut 2 vertical 2x4s to hold it up and those verticals became the wall ends part of the form by screwing the shower liner to them.

Name:  upper filter pit 5-27-09 3 sm.jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  80.6 KB

I used blocks of 2x4’’ screwed to the inner and outer form to position the outer form. The gap in the outer form would be filled with another piece of shower liner. I then realized I maybe should have dug some deep column ties to prevent frost heave before I screwed the outer form in place. I started digging a hole for the columns by sitting inside the form, thinking I need a garden trowel with a really long skinny handle because the post hole digger would not fit thru the 3 ˝’’ gap between the inner and outer forms. Well the trowel had a 3/8’’ slot in the handle, what could I bolt it to?? I had a piece of 1 ˝’’ PVC pipe that just happened to be the perfect inside diameter for the trowel and a 3/8’’ nut!! Viola!! An 8’ handled garden trowel!!!

Name:  upper filter pit 6-8-09 extendo trowel 6 sm.JPG
Views: 1086
Size:  109.4 KB
      Name:  upper filter pit 6-8-09 extendo trowel 3 sm.JPG
Views: 1094
Size:  41.2 KB
      Name:  upper filter pit 6-8-09 extendo trowel 2 sm.JPG
Views: 1023
Size:  43.1 KB

That’s all well and good for getting down in there and loosening the dirt, but how to get it out of those deep skinny holes??? Shop vac...with extra extensions!!! I also was able to fit a 1’’ pvc elbow and coupling to the end of the vac extensions to carve out a wider diameter in the bottom of the holes to act as a flange of sorts to help hold the column in the ground against frost heave.
      Name:  upper filter pit 6-8-09 column excavation extractor sm.JPG
Views: 1010
Size:  101.5 KB

OK, so what to use as mechanical reinforcement?? I thought even 3/8’’ rebar too hefty for such a small wall, plus I didn’t want to spend any more money or drive 20 miles to buy it. I had a bunch of 14 ga welded wire fencing from the 1000’ or so of fence I put up around my land. Specifically the roll ends that were too tight to unroll and use along the fence but that ahd been sitting in a shed for 10 years, I thought they might be perfect for column reinforcement..and I could use flat sections of the fence for the wall reinforcement.

At this point my concrete tutor suggested that I pour up to the blocks on the first pour and take them out before the second pour. So I got the column and wall supports placed just up to the blocks.
      Name:  upper filter pit 6-10-09 column reinforcment.jpg
Views: 963
Size:  89.9 KB Name:  upper filter pit 6-15-09 1 sm.JPG
Views: 989
Size:  105.6 KB

Ok, so now I am a fairly strong woman and I regularly take a couple of 80 lbs bag of mortar out of the van and ease it into the moisture resistant bins on wheels for my leaf making enterprise.....but hauling the 9 bags of gravel mix that I needed for this wall..... would kill me. So where my brawn ends my brain begins and I’ve always known that leverage, knowledge of center of gravity and a good hand truck are a girls best friend....you can drag, flip,tip and slide a lot of things that you could never (or shouldn’t) lift. BTW that pic is 15 years old, before the fat covered the muscles
      Name:  acmpmuscles.JPG
Views: 1002
Size:  42.0 KB
      Drag it to the edge until it slides down onto the truck.....Old Libby the Aussie and Rascal keep a close eye on me
      Name:  upper filter pit 6-16-09 2 sm.JPG
Views: 958
Size:  95.6 KB Name:  upper filter pit 6-16-09 3 sm.JPG
Views: 968
Size:  88.2 KB
      wheel it up the ramp onto the deck...
      Name:  upper filter pit 6-16-09 1 sm.JPG
Views: 972
Size:  83.2 KB
      ...and tip it into the wheel barrow. This pick was the last partial bag for the pour, the full bags got flipped farther into the barrow and slit at one end and all the way down the middle length to empty the whole bag..
      Name:  upper filter pit 6-16-09 4 sm.JPG
Views: 967
Size:  108.2 KB

So after a nap to recover from 6 bags of concrete mixing I realized that I hadn’t put an opening for the SC drain in the wall. Darn!!! Well I knew from casting concrete leaves and some concrete carving ventures that after about 6 hours the concrete would be set enough to remove the form and do some carving. Luckily the drain hole needed to go right where the outer form patch was stuck in. So I got it in. I had planned to arrange the reinforcing mesh to go around this gap but now I will have to cut the wire and put some concrete patch around the opening to protect the metal from corrosion.
      Name:  upper filter pit 6-17-09 1 sm.JPG
Views: 1043
Size:  113.4 KB
      The first pour is done, the blocks removed, the gap closing outer form back in place, the rest of the wall reinforcing mesh in place and I am ready for tomorrow’s final pour.
      Name:  upper filter pit 6-15-09 6 sm.JPG
Views: 965
Size:  123.4 KB

3 and ˝ more bags and it was filled....had to add a bit of reinforcement to the outer form patch but it held fine.
      At this point I was so pleased with myself, for finally realizing this idea that had been floating in my head for 2 years, my head and heart nearly burst!!!
      Then I had to mow the yards before the looming thunderstorms...and then nothing but sleeping and eating the rest of the day to recuperate.
      Name:  upper filter pit 6-16-09 5 sm.JPG
Views: 967
Size:  107.2 KB

Although I did some tests to see whether the concrete would release from the shower liner
      I was a bit nervous to remove the outer form, but it came off fairly easily.
      Name:  upper filter pit 6-17-09 4 sm.JPG
Views: 986
Size:  138.4 KB

The inner form I knew would have to be destroyed to remove it and I wasn’t sure how that would work out.
      I borrowed a sawzall and cut the wood pattern as close to the screws as I could get then went at it with a hammer.
      That and a few more cuts with the saw and it was all off.
      Name:  upper filter pit 6-17-09 7 sm.JPG
Views: 970
Size:  105.3 KB
      Name:  upper filter pit 6-17-09 9 sm.JPG
Views: 945
Size:  96.6 KB

I still need to do some patching where there were some voids in the pour..... it is now covered with a tarp to keep the 2 daily waterings from evaporating...and there’s the bases for the 2 buckets that comprise the filtration and get it running...then a cover that will be tile mosaic on plywood with lift off hatches for cleaning the filter...and I am also doing the other filter pit....so that’s it for now...more to come later.

Anne (the 'e' is silent) the Armchair Ponder

Judge no one by their outward appearance or where they work or live or worship........but by the content of their character displayed in the integrity of their actions.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

sworley is offline Senior Member
      is Still loving my pond!

Feeling:
      Annoyed

That looks wonderful, Anne! I love the design - nice flowing curves! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished pond area! I love the mosaic idea, too - am looking forward to seeing your design for that, too. I have some mosaic tiles that I'm planning to use at the curved end of my main pond but haven't come up with a pattern yet. I know what you mean about figuring out how to do things by yourself, especially when it comes to dealing with heavy stuff - I do a lot of that by myself, too. Your idea looks good to me!

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is also strong enough to take away everything you have." -- Thomas Jefferson

Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
      Maxine

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Anne, all of that is so impressive! Your ingenuity is inspirational. It's a beautiful sweeping design and I'm looking forward to future progress pics.

Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Anne,

That really looks good. It's always nice to hear the rest of the story.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

Donaldbyrd is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Nice job there.
      Click for Lakeland, Florida Forecast

mudcatslim is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You are such a neat lady. I enjoy catching the occasional question or post. I like the insights that make ya think. I also like a women who comes with her own tractor and can rebuild the durn thing to. Neato! Sorry to hear about the dog though.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

That is going to awesome!! You are one smart Lady!
      (I gotta remember the term "pondsai"... )

Keep up the great work!
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks folks! I love to figure things out and build things so I am in hogheaven working on this. The cover may not get done until next year...mosiacing is a whole nother learning curve...but we'll see.

Special thanks to Rich who has answered innumerable questions via multiple emails, offered much tutoring on the chemistry and mechanics of concrete and helped me solve problems that would have stymied the project. I couldn't have done it without him

Joyce coined the term 'pondsai' .....I can't take credit for that one

The tractor engine took months...... it died 3 weeks after the last huge snowstorm and I finished it up in time to get the fields and trails mowed before winter..... I found a forum with a bunch of guys who love old engines and tractors, a great group of folks like this one, they got me thru the rebuild along with a local machinist who knew little engines as well as automotive engines. It was gratifying to get it done at a quarter of the cost and a heck of alot of fun too.

Worked out a nifty form for the bucket stands yesterday...if it doesn't rain today I might get the pour done....stay tuned .......

Judge no one by their outward appearance or where they work or live or worship........but by the content of their character displayed in the integrity of their actions.

birdman is offline DIY Savant
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Pretty neat.

mpageler is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I really like the curving walls...great job on forming. Going to be a nice project to watch.
      MN Mike

5400g 10'x14'x 5
      Dry Stacked Block Walls - Drop-in Liner
      4" BD - Cetus Seive - DIY Skimmer
      125g MB w/8ft2 Biollow9
      Converted Trition II Sand Filter

My Pond Construction
      My QT Tank
      My Indoor Overwintering Tank
      Calculating K1 Bio Media

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Now on to the bucket stands......

I have been screwing around every spring trying to get the buckets level.
      (I take down the filtration every winter due to the small size of the pondsai, the fish come inside)

It’s a pain in the butt, so I wanted some rock solid platforms for them to sit on.
      There is an 8 gal (18’’) and a 5 gal(12’’) so I built a 2 tier form to pour the stands.
      Name:  upper filter pit 6-21-09 1 sm.JPG
Views: 761
Size:  93.0 KB

I set up the buckets in the pit, made a pattern, figured all the dimensions and cut out the shower liner to match them.
      Name:  upper filter pit 6-21-09 2 sm.JPG
Views: 622
Size:  32.4 KB

I cut out the pattern in a piece of 3/8 plywood to hold the shower liner to the shapes needed.
      I devised an ‘inside clamp’ from a turn buckle to push the lower circle out to the wood pattern.
      I let this sit overnight because I had found that the shower liner would hold it’s shape pretty well after being clamped or screwed down a while.
      Name:  upper filter pit 6-21-09 5 sm.JPG
Views: 686
Size:  74.4 KB

I replaced the clamps with 10-32 shallow hex head stn stl machine screws and nylock nuts, with the heads on the inside of the form.
      I’ll remember to oil the screw heads so they come out of the concrete, right???
      I found that the shower liner was not going to hold it’s shape well enough so I cut the wood pattern narrow enough to fit into the pit.
      Name:  upper filter pit 6-22-09 2 sm.JPG
Views: 721
Size:  50.1 KB
      Name:  upper filter pit 6-22-09 3 sm.JPG
Views: 690
Size:  74.0 KB

I made in inner form out of cardboard to leave space for the drain valve on the SC
      and made a spacer of sorts to keep the cardboard from collapsing during the pour.
      Name:  upper filter pit 6-22-09 1 sm.JPG
Views: 594
Size:  77.8 KB

After several fitting sessions in the pit, using some stakes stuck into the ground to help position it, I got everything in the right place.
      You can’t see the form here because of the square pieces sitting on the top edge of the form to hold the buckets stable.
      Name:  upper filter pit 6-22-09 5 sm.JPG
Views: 594
Size:  93.5 KB

I dug the column holes, this time I was able to use a regular post hole digger
      and bent up some fencing for mechanical reinforcement.
      All ready for tomorrows pour.
      Name:  upper filter pit 6-22-09 6 sm.JPG
Views: 636
Size:  106.9 KB

I put the reinforcement and concrete in the column holes then placed the other fencing and form.
      Name:  upper filter pit 6-23-09 1 sm.JPG
Views: 593
Size:  101.5 KB

Then we filled it all up!! My daughter was visiting and did some of the heavy work for me...and she weeded gardens in between mixing batches of concrete. What a girl!!!
      Name:  upper filter pit 6-23-09 2 sm.JPG
Views: 597
Size:  97.1 KB

I see after it’s all poured that I didn’t get the drain slot lined up with the hole thru the wall very well...yikes!!! It's a bit off center too..oh well.
      I hope I can make that work somehow.
      Might have to get out the weed torch and try that pipe bending thing.

"It's not how bad you f-f-f-foul something up, it's how well you fix what's wrong." (my first year drafting instructor)

Tomorrow: the unveiling....and hopefully upper filtration running....maybe even a fish or two!!

is Still loving my pond!

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Great job, Anne! I'm looking forward to seeing it running!

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is also strong enough to take away everything you have." -- Thomas Jefferson

Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
      Maxine

gOOse is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

That form work is so hawt Anne, hunh you rebuilt your tractor motor?? Sorry its just the thought of that makes me all warm and fuzzy. Cool girl AWARD!
      That one little concrete wall makes me think you need to do the whole pond like that. Your in the zone/groove right now with concrete work strike while the iron is hot. JK maybe next year, cant wait.
      Nice work.

hondataeg6 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

looking great

zack67360 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

All I can say is WOW! You're doing a great job Anne. Very sorry for your loss; she was a beautiful dog.
      zack

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks folks...for the interest and compliments. I know this isn't the usual big pond thing, but the concepts are very similar and I thought it might help other folks with ideas.

gOOse, I don't have the cash or stamina to do a big pond, so I get to play with miniatures

Zack...thanks for the condolences, she was a great dog. Maggie, short for 'Gorgeous the Magnificent', was my first dog as an adult and she was a joy and a trial but always by my side. I am just glad she went quick with minimal suffering, they think she had a brain tumor, she was 12 and goofily happy and curious until the minute she collapsed. I took her to have her put her down and she died just as we pulled up to the vets door.
      Always in my shadow...oh geez, I got some little tears in my eyes, sorry for the digression,
      tho I have been thinking of her alot this week, she died on July 3, 2007
      Name:  maggie and shadow sm.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  66.6 KB

OK, (sniff... wipe) back to the present......Bucket stand unveiling:
      The form came off very easily, bolt heads didn't even think of sticking.
      Had to break up the wood pattern, but I figured I would, and the shower liner came off in one piece
      (so I can maybe reuse it for the 3rd time on the other pit.)
      Name:  upper filter pit 6-24-09 5 sm.JPG
Views: 534
Size:  117.0 KB

It's all pretty level and the heights put the tops of the buckets right at or just below the ultimate water level in the pond. Cedar shims can fine tune it.
      Name:  upper filter pit 6-24-09 6 sm.JPG
Views: 609
Size:  96.7 KB

So...everything looks pretty good...........except
      .... the drain slot caved a bit, the spacer I made was not adequate,
      Name:  upper filter pit 6-24-09 3 sm.JPG
Views: 527
Size:  78.7 KB
      but it was nothing a chisel and hammer couldn’t take care of
      and the drain ended up lining up with the hole in the wall just fine.
      Name:  upper filter pit 6-24-09 8 sm.JPG
Views: 533
Size:  87.3 KB

Had a bit if a scare when I first hooked it all up and uncapped the pipe on the inside of the pond......
      .....water was more than trickling out where the pipe came out of the pond....seemed like the uniseal was leaking.
      Put the cap back on and took everything apart and checked it again adding one component at a time,
      cranking the pipe in the uniseal all over the place trying to make it leak again...
      ......but no more leak. Must have been a fluke.
      Name:  upper filter pit 6-24-09 10 sm.JPG
Views: 517
Size:  93.2 KB

So it’s all hooked up and running. and still looks good this morning.
      Even checked out the concrete leaf waterfall reservoir...seems the silicone bead under the lip is going to keep it from running back under the leaf!!! Still need to finish sealing and tweaking the waterfall leaf and change a few fittings here and there........but for all intents and purposes, it is functional!!!!
      Name:  upper filter pit 6-24-09 9 sm.JPG
Views: 556
Size:  100.3 KB

Next step is making a cover......
      I plan on doing a mosaic on the cover with porcelain and glass but that’s not going to happen soon, so will make something temporary...
      ......then I’ll follow the drain line in the upper pit to the lower pit which also needs to be concreted, this one is all straight lines....
      .....stay tuned.

is Still loving my pond!

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Will definitely stay tuned! You do excellent work - looks great!

Maxine

Joey S is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Incredible, Anne...a true work of aart - wmich.
      For the love of Koi
      Don't Sweat the Small Stuff

Lifetime Charter Diamond Member #4 WWKC

JOIN THE WorldWide Koi Club NOW

Certified Koi Keeper (CKK)

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

That is not only functional, but beautiful. Good work girl.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

JMorris271 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Looks great! High Five!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast