• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What causes red fins and body on koi?

andres58 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

What causes red fins and body on koi?

Three weeks ago my large Goshiki developed redness in his tail fin and pecs. Also redness in his head and body, although not as acute. I can tell the red spotting on his head comes from within. I was suspecting some type of blood issue?. I'm scratching my head. I've tested all parameters and seem to be in line.
      Jorge

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

pearlharborday is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

if your water quality is in check,,,,that leaves parasitic,bacterial or viral........scrape and scope, plus a fecal float .....................visual inpection of the gills........check for color......................any other fish showing any signs????before answering that ,do a long visual check....shut all the running water ,,so you can get a good look

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by pearlharborday View Post
      if your water quality is in check,,,,that leaves parasitic,bacterial or viral........scrape and scope, plus a fecal float .....................visual inspection of the gills........check for color......................any other fish showing any signs????before answering that ,do a long visual check....shut all the running water ,,so you can get a good look
      two other fish are showing slight redness in their fins, occasional flashing.......

I've been doing some reading and I keep coming with "Bacterial Hemorrhagic Septicemia" described as "blood decease"....

Bacterial Hemorrhagic Septicemia symptoms include red streaks on the fins and body or redness in the body itself. For treatment you should use an antibiotic Koi disease medicine or oxytetracycline in feed or a fungicide/protozoacide dip/bath treatment in the water.

I treated with 3cc of Baytril........ most literature talks a bout Tretacycling. I wonder if its the same?

Another posibility could be Heteropolaria a protozoan infection, although it presents white cottony leisures at time confused with fungus that are not present in my situation.......
      Jorge

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by andres58 View Post
      two other fish are showing slight redness in their fins, occasional flashing.......

I've been doing some reading and I keep coming with "Bacterial Hemorrhagic Septicemia" described as "blood decease"....

Bacterial Hemorrhagic Septicemia symptoms include red streaks on the fins and body or redness in the body itself. For treatment you should use an antibiotic Koi disease medicine or oxytetracycline in feed or a fungicide/protozoacide dip/bath treatment in the water.

I treated with 3cc of Baytril........ most literature talks a bout Tretacycling. I wonder if its the same?

Another posibility could be Heteropolaria a protozoan infection, although it presents white cottony leisures at time confused with fungus that are not present in my situation.......
      oxytet isn't the same as baytril.......baytril is better........injection is preferable.......bacterial infenctions are secondary infections,,,,what the primary reason is,,needs to be addressed................parastites like tric,chil,and costia even flukes all can cause red streaking........my guess if it was a parasites ,it would be costia or tric............treatment of choice would be quick cure[proformC] or straight formalin..............

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

oxytet isn't the same as baytril.......baytril is better........injection is preferable.......bacterial infenctions are secondary infections,,,,what the primary reason is,,needs to be addressed................parastites like tric,chil,and costia even flukes all can cause red streaking........my guess if it was a parasites ,it would be costia or tric............treatment of choice would be quick cure[proformC] or straight formalin..............
      I bought a scope for xmas and I guess I will finally use it. Any suggestion for scraping..locations.
      Jorge

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I bought a scope for xmas and I guess I will finally use it. Any suggestion for scraping..locations.
      a gill scrape,,,,plus around the gills,,,along the dorsal and tail fin....under the belly ...........how do the fishes eyes look ,,,,typical heavy infestestations of costia and tric ,can give the eyes a flatened look....almost like they are being sucked in[sunken like]...........many people panic thinking they have khv infection ,when they see the sunken eyes,,,,,,but in most cases ,it turn of to be costia or tric infestations.........tric can be seen at 100x mag...costia you need between 400-600x mag..............tric looks like wagon wheels spining around...........costia looks like coma's ,corkscrewing around

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

a gill scrape,,,,plus around the gills,,,along the dorsal and tail fin....under the belly ...........how do the fishes eyes look ,,,,typical heavy infestestations of costia and tric ,can give the eyes a flatened look....almost like they are being sucked in[sunken like]...........many people panic thinking they have khv infection ,when they see the sunken eyes,,,,,,but in most cases ,it turn of to be costia or tric infestations.........tric can be seen at 100x mag...costia you need between 400-600x mag..............tric looks like wagon wheels spining around...........costia looks like coma's ,corkscrewing around
      the eyes actually appear to be a little swollen but most likely normal..... The koi loose apetite from a parasite infection? and How infectious is it? The one fish has been showing these syptoms for almost three week, since the Orlando Show.
      Jorge

sundan is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

believe it or not, try fresh oranges. slice them thick and toss into the pond. I have a kohaku that does the same thing on body once in a while, red streaks. I try many things for her, salt baths, formalin, ect and nothing seem to work. added some oranges to pond and notice she became bright white and red went away. Most koi foods do not have enough vitamins in them, they cook them away with heat. Try some fresh c to their diet, can be grapefruit also.

Click for Lake Wales, Florida Forecast

sundan is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

the eyes actually appear to be a little swollen but most likely normal..... The koi loose apetite from a parasite infection? and How infectious is it? The one fish has been showing these syptoms for almost three week, since the Orlando Show.
      are these koi in qt and have you treated them with proform c yet?

Click for Lake Wales, Florida Forecast

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by sundan View Post
      are these koi in qt and have you treated them with proform c yet?
      No its a big 4 yrs old Shusui that began showing syptoms after the Orlando show. I've never used proform c but last year the whole pond was treated with MG and Formalin + Supaberm
      Jorge

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Jorge, this tutorial helped me when I was getting ready to do the first s/s:

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80988

Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn View Post
      Jorge, this tutorial helped me when I was getting ready to do the first s/s:

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80988
      thanks that really helps..
      Jorge

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Anytime

Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

CHICHI is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Presume by "Orlando" Show you mean you took her there

What Temp is she at ?

six6guy is offline Bumbles Well
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

On the vitamin C issue, if your Koi are not used to orange/citrus slices/quarters than you can soak their pellet food in fresh orange juice for about 5 minutes before feeding.

Brad

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
      Albert Einstein

Bradley W. Olin
      newest member of EIHIOICGI

My pond stuff can be found at...

My Pond Build
      My QT Build
      My CC-FF Build
      My Active Carbon Filters

cindy is offline Administrator
      is Loving retirement

Feeling:
      Happy

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      interesting, might try that for the goldies.

MediaManEdu is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I had/have the same problem with 3 of my fish; started this winter. Fish acted normal and all parameters are in acceptable range except ph is on the high side of acceptable (0 am, 0 nitrite, 7 nitrate, ph9).

Lots of o2 and about 900 gallons per fish. I thought everything was perfect. I s/s 3 different times with nothing. I even quarantined them 8 weeks and treated them with proform c and prazi . . . no change. Then minn finn . . . no change. Then salt to .6% with tricide-neo dips(worried about impending bacterial infection) . . . no change. Scraped and scoped again. Still no problem. So i put them back in the big pond before i treated them to death. They still have light pink spider veins but no other symptoms.

This is going on 3 months. I will see what Spring brings.

I interject just to say your not alone and stay diligent ; you will win the war with the help of this community.
      JW
      Click for Dayton, Texas Forecast

Be as you wish to seem- Socrates

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Well I pulled the Shusui and placed in QT two days ago. I've treated twice with Baytril 3cc. Scraped three locations and found one to be suspect with what appears to be Costia (football size0 hundreds of them......not sure someone suggested it could be fish cells. They were moving but I thought it was water movement in the slide sample.... I'm not very comfortable with identifying stuff yet.....

Bacterial infections is beginning to set in as sores are breaking skin. I should have isolated the fish much sooner but the QT hotel was full of new commers...... Moral is as soon as you suspect of something pull the fish and evaluate. From the surface you may miss something....

Anyway I started a Malachite Green and Formalin treatment for three days, salt to .3/.4 in three days then 2 days of Supaverm. That should take care of all parasites.................... I've done it before and worked well for me.
      Jorge

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by CHICHI View Post
      Presume by "Orlando" Show you mean you took her there

What Temp is she at ?
      \
      No she's been home all along........ I noticed redness when I got back from Orlando
      Jorge

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by MediaManEdu View Post
      I had/have the same problem with 3 of my fish; started this winter. Fish acted normal and all parameters are in acceptable range except ph is on the high side of acceptable (0 am, 0 nitrite, 7 nitrate, ph9).

Lots of o2 and about 900 gallons per fish. I thought everything was perfect. I s/s 3 different times with nothing. I even quarantined them 8 weeks and treated them with proform c and prazi . . . no change. Then minn finn . . . no change. Then salt to .6% with tricide-neo dips(worried about impending bacterial infection) . . . no change. Scraped and scoped again. Still no problem. So i put them back in the big pond before i treated them to death. They still have light pink spider veins but no other symptoms.

This is going on 3 months. I will see what Spring brings.

I interject just to say your not alone and stay diligent ; you will win the war with the help of this community.
      Wow your fish should be clean by now. Maybe you should have treated the whole pond rather than the fish in QT.

I was suspect of my mains water, since I use well water, introducing any type of soluble irritant. But as I previously mentioned I believe there is a parasite problem that's in turn creating a bacterial complication. I'm just zapping the whole dam pond and QT.........
      Jorge

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast