• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Koi Skin Color and its Proper Care

PapaBear is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I mentioned in an earlier post that one of our shiro bekko experience a submerging of the sumi during the summer growing season which I expected to re-emerge with greater strength later on. It is too cool to pull for a picture but suffice it to say that the shiroji is intense and loaded with guanine and the sumi is re-building nicely. I'll try to get some pictures of the progress over the next few months so you can see the way it develops.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

farne230 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Great responses with this unusual situation. I can tell you that the red striking and discolored shiroji scales adjacent the dorsal are gone. The intensity of the secondary hi beneath the first shiroji row between the head and second beni has lightened, but the two discolored spots center of shiroji over right shoulder as you view the koi is still there, but less noticable.
      I will try and post a few more photo's.
      Bob

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Here is the Ogawa female kohaku.
      Photo 1: March 6, 2006 as nisai (born June 2004);
      Photo 2-5: Dec. 13, 2006 a few months after I received her;
      Photo rest of photo's taken today. the darken area's are still visible as well as other area's.

Original water quality: PH 8.2 to 8.8, GH/KH over 300, TDS 350 Temps mid to high 80's in summer to winter never below 35f. Feeding Hi-silk.

Installed Heater Dec. 07;
      Softener installed Feb. 08; GH 120ppm, KH 140ppm;
      RO installed Dec. 08; GH to 0, KH 84, TDS 144ppm. PH 7.5 to 8.1.

Bob
      Attached Images Attached Images          

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

I think what you're concerned with here was somewhat evident in Pic #3. The sashi on both of those hi plates is, in my opinion, questionable. Other issues I noted in your first two pics seemed to have resolved themselves. My guess, however, and it's only a guess, is that this may be nothing more than a temporary thing as it appears the shiroji is becoming thicker and the deep sashi beni is separating from the main plate and will dissolve away within the next year to two years. Her fukurin is also developing well, but to the eye and even in a photo, it reflects light differently than the skin around the embedding scales, and tends to cast a more tannish cream color in certain lighting conditions.

I'll post some photos so you can see what I mean about high class fish when the pics aren't "shopped"

Mike
      Attached Images Attached Images    

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Mike your kohaku is fantastic, a great example of a GC if I ever saw one. One question: my problems seam to occure after I reduced TDS and hardness as you can see the scales laid back, do you think this caused the deep beni to move twards the center of those scales and become more pronounced? Also the right shoulder you will note the dark pinpoint shading in the center of the white skin, almost looks like a bit but these areas do not cover the whole scale as we see since she was nisai. What is going on here.
      Bob

is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Bob

First, these, unfortunately, are NOT my fish. I took these pics at the AJKS in 2006. The first fish was a Kokugyo winner at, I believe, 75cm and the second fish is "The Mask" who was the GC at the show that year.

In the first pic, look at the right side of the fish and notice the same type of issue going on. Separated scales with underlying beni showing through. Also, the mask shows a bit of this as well on the right side. I believe it is two scales.

On your fish, as it is younger than the other two I posted, appears to have underlying beni showing through as a sign of the transition between hard water and soft water conditions. When the water is hard, the color cells seem to "flatten" and when the water is soft, it allows the color cells to "stand up" more and give a more youthful look. I think your fish is in a transition period and as the shiroji thickens it will go away. It's really hard to put a finger on from photos as a in-person 3D look is always better to judge these type of issues from.

Mike

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I hope you are right Mike. She has been in this condition since last May. A side note, I have reduced water changes, due to issues with bringing TDS down and KH. I am at the desired levels now KH 5dh and TDS 144ppm. But I have issues trying to mix water due to source water options and a overflow pipe that will not drain properly. Therefore there are issues. The main point, today my test show detectable Nitrates 5.0. I have noticed algae traped in skimmer and very soft (maybe a new cycle is brewing with a algae die off) since tds is down (less nutrients).

I am concerned with keeping the water stable. If I do a 20% water change
      (1700 gals), note my RO produces about .8 gpm (48gph). I can blend softened waters to give me a TDS 190ppm, my valve is a ball valve on 1" pvc does not control flow well.

Question is; Do I address the Nitrates now, turn Ro on blend tape water to 150 or 199TDS what ever I can get when I crack open the mixing ball valve and let flow for 10 hours (480gals to 1000 gals) hard to figure the mixing rate and flow? Or should I just let it go and see if the filtration brings nitrates down?

CHICHI is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by farne230 View Post
      I hope you are right Mike. She has been in this condition since last May. A side note, I have reduced water changes, due to issues with bringing TDS down and KH. I am at the desired levels now KH 5dh and TDS 144ppm. But I have issues trying to mix water due to source water options and a overflow pipe that will not drain properly. Therefore there are issues. The main point, today my test show detectable Nitrates 5.0. I have noticed algae traped in skimmer and very soft (maybe a new cycle is brewing with a algae die off) since tds is down (less nutrients).

(1700 gals), note my RO produces about .8 gpm (48gph). I can blend softened waters to give me a TDS 190ppm, my valve is a ball valve on 1" pvc does not control flow well.

Question is; Do I address the Nitrates now, turn Ro on blend tape water to 150 or 199TDS what ever I can get when I crack open the mixing ball valve and let flow for 10 hours (480gals to 1000 gals) hard to figure the mixing rate and flow? Or should I just let it go and see if the filtration brings nitrates down?
      Hi Farne ..

You need to know what "Blend" is going in with your replacement Water - 199TDS won`t be a problem if your aim is to reduce the Nitrate back to it`s previous Value ..

Might be worth getting your Pipe repaired/replaced if you intend to run a mixture of R/O/TAP Water on a permanent basis ..

sundan is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by koiman1950 View Post
      Bob

First, these, unfortunately, are NOT my fish. I took these pics at the AJKS in 2006. The first fish was a Kokugyo winner at, I believe, 75cm and the second fish is "The Mask" who was the GC at the show that year.

In the first pic, look at the right side of the fish and notice the same type of issue going on. Separated scales with underlying beni showing through. Also, the mask shows a bit of this as well on the right side. I believe it is two scales.

On your fish, as it is younger than the other two I posted, appears to have underlying beni showing through as a sign of the transition between hard water and soft water conditions. When the water is hard, the color cells seem to "flatten" and when the water is soft, it allows the color cells to "stand up" more and give a more youthful look. I think your fish is in a transition period and as the shiroji thickens it will go away. It's really hard to put a finger on from photos as a in-person 3D look is always better to judge these type of issues from.

Mike
      Thanks for posting the mask kohaku, choice. Didn't 2 brits buying that koi for $150,000 together place 2nd one year and then following year won first place at all Japan show. I think there is a video of how west won east about this koi.

Click for Lake Wales, Florida Forecast

is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by sundan View Post
      Thanks for posting the mask kohaku, choice. Didn't 2 brits buying that koi for $150,000 together place 2nd one year and then following year won first place at all Japan show. I think there is a video of how west won east about this koi.
      Yes, Martin and Mark. The fish was purchased for a large sum of money AT NISAI!!! I don't know if she was even entered in the Shinkokai AJS the year before. I don't remember seeing her there. I know the other famous koi they owned was called the Maruten Kohaku and everyone was expecting to see her when the box was opened. But, as the story goes, when Sakai compared the two, he recommended bringing the mask as the Maruten wasn't up to par. Yes, there is a video out by that name.

Ironically, at the following year's AJKS I was in the smoking room (where else) talking with a couple breeders and Mike Harvey from So Africa. As I looked over to the other side of the table, there was Martin and Sakai. I heard Martin saying he was done with AJKS competition. He had his prize and now he wanted to keep his money as well (jokingly). When you consider what it costs to compete at this level, and then, if you win it all, you have to HOST several celebratory parties, which is, from what I hear, another fortune unto itself.

If I'm not mistaken, the Dainichi Showa which won the 2007 AJKS was sold by the owner just before the show for the very reason that he didn't want to have to pay for the parties after he won. And the price tag was no $150,000 for THAT FISH either!!

Mike

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by farne230 View Post

I don't recall if you mentioned, but what's your pond and source water temps? I really think you're stressing over things that shouldn't be messed with too much at this time of year. I also don't see anything wrong with a Nitrate reading of 5ppm. Wish mine were that low!! I think the MOST IMPORTANT point you should be/are concerned with is STABILITY and until you get those ISSUES fixed, I wouldn't be messing around with the use of a ball valve to control source water mixing with RO water. Chichi is right - I would recommend a Gate Valve as you can control flow much better with one. Try using a plumber's snake on your overflow pipe. Maybe something got in there like a drowning mouse/rat/snake or other critter and has it blocked.

If this issue on the fish is only since last May, I think I would take a wait and see approach and watch her this growing season. I still think it's only temporary. But, if you go messing with parameters and put them in a state of flux, there's no telling what could happen. In a few of the photos I still see Hoshi and the beni between the scales is still lighter which indicates continued growth and color stretching. I know it's hard to be patient, but I think it will really pay off on this fish if you can be for the next two years.

Mike

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Will do Mike the water temp is steady at 62f to 64f depends on outside temps, and Chichi. The NO3 are now 0ppm. My Kin Ki Utsuri was gulping foam yesterday and is lying on the bottom. She will not mix with the rest during AM feeding. Let you know how it turns out.
      Bob

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345