• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Koi jumping out of pond

johnnyd5844 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Angry Koi jumping out of pond

Hi everyone. I am new here. Lately my koi have been jumping out of the pond. About 2 weeks ago my favorite one jumped out and I didnt find it in time. Then last week another one jumped out. We were able to get him back in and he is still alive but hasnt been as active. Then 3 days ago another one jumped out. We got him back in but sadly yesterday he died. I dont know what it is they never did this before. They were just starting to get active as it is warming up here in NJ. They are in a 1200 gallon pond. Some of the other koi and goldfish havnt jumped out and neither the sunfish and minnows we have in there also(knock on wood).Is there anything you think that can be making the fish do this? Do you think I should add any treatments to the water?
      Thanks
      John

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

clm is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Have you tested the water?

clm
      Click for Toronto Pearson, Ontario Forecast

nmtsaki is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary
      is hanging in there, waiting for
      warmer weather

Feeling:
      Awesome

I agree, test the water; fish will try to get out if the conditions aren't the greatest. Not sure if it's breeding season, but I've heard they jump around because of that too. Might want to do a water change also, just in case a toxin got in.

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

cindy is offline Administrator
      is Loving retirement

Feeling:
      Happy

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      1200 gallons and you have koi, goldfish, sunfish and minnows? Check the ammonia, sounds over crowded

also it could be electric shock, do you have a ground fault protector

Parasites is my last guess
      Last edited by cindy; 03-24-2010 at 07:57 PM.

McKTX is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

is it still to cold for parasites?
      The two enemies of the people are criminals and government.

No one can ruin your day without YOUR permission!!!

"We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

ADOPT A RESCUED PET!
      !!DON'T BREED OR BUY WHILE OTHERS DIE!!
      TO NEUTER IS CUTER!

rstimeout is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

DIDO you have koi, goldfish, sunfish and minnows? Check the ammonia, sounds over crowded I have seen this happen alot with small ponds fish too big or too many

koi4u2c is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Another thought. Maybe the sunfish are nipping the koi.
      Nancy

GHouse is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'd Cover it with a net until you get it figured out.

A.Z. is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I've heared that flukes will do it and poor water conditions will make them jump out too. Check the ammonia and cover the pond with a net. Add some bio bacteria (I've seen it in petsmart) to get the filter up to speed. When I started out years ago in this hobby, I had a 500gal pond with 15 to 16 goldfish and koi in total and they did just fine. I moved on to a 1800gal pond with 18 kois only and I have had twice as many problems. The bacteria in your filter just might need to mature. Update me on whats going on.

Robster is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

(1) net your pond

(2) Like others have said also Check your water

(3) my Koi will also jump when theres a lightening storm approaching, just another thought
      Veni...Vidi...Velcro...I came, I saw, I stuck around

"you cant trust water, even a good straight stick becomes crooked in it "...W.C. Fields

If a tree falls in the forest, do the other trees laugh

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi everyone. Thanks for the info. I now don't have any koi left. The ones that jumped out and got put back in all died. I still have the comet. I tested the ammonia,ph and nitrite. Everything looked good. The only thing I can think was wrong was that there were some leaves at the bottom of the pond that could have been bothering the fish as they broke down? Is there anything I can add to the water to help beneficial bacteria grow? O and about over crowding. There was 4 koi all under 12 inches and one 8 inch comet 2 sunfish that are about 4 inches and like 6 small minnows. Was that to many fish for a 1200 gallon pond? It looked like they had plenty of room to swim. But you guys know more than me.
      Thanks
      John

nmtsaki is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary
      is hanging in there, waiting for
      warmer weather

Feeling:
      Awesome

When you say all the readings looked "good" - what were the actual numbers? If you have some ammonia (little green), or some nitrate (little bluish/purple) - they can die if left too long in it.

For one, hydrogen sulfide can accumulate under the leaves, and when disturbed, can release a gas, that will kill fish.

Something in the water killed them.

doesn't sound like tooooo many fish.

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

A.Z. is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Whatever happened or went wrong was quick and deadly so you need to get a hold on it. With you fish load (which is o.k. in my opinion) and pond size you need to have a oversized filteration system with good turn over, oxygen saturation, and plenty of healthy bacteria in your bio filteration. I have a 1800 gal pond 16 or 18 fish, a 3950 gph pump, and a filter capable of handling ponds up to 6,000gals. Get those leaves off the bottom, do a complete water change and system cleaning. Fill the pond back up and salt the fish you have. Add beneficial bacteria and wait good while before putting koi back in. Like I said, you may need to supersize your filteration system with emphasis on mechanical (removal of waste and debris) and biological filteration. My pump and filter alone cost more than the construction, labor, and liner for my pond combined.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

OK thanks for the help guys. The nitrite test was somewhere between 0 and .25. But more towards the 0 probably around .10. Is that OK? The ammonia test was also an inbetweener between 0 and .25 but a lot more towards 0 probably like .5 if that. Are these readings OK? I did get the leaves out and put in sludge remover to help break down the little bits that I missed. I also just ordered a brand new 2500 gph little giant pump that should hopefully be here tomorrow. I also ordered microbe lift pl and pond salt. Is the microbe lift pl any good?

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007