• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: opinion on bakki showers posted on NI

kingkong is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

What is the source of energy for the far-infrared rays? I understand it is electromagnetic radiation having the longest wave lengths in the infrared region between 50 and 1000 micrometers. Because the B filter is elevated from water surface and exposed to more direct light have anything to do with it?

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

tewa is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi JR

As I and you yourself have said that bakki showers are an excellent if not one of the best biofilters on the market, the use of far infrared rays to create active water is proven science, the fact that it has numerous health benefits is not rumour but researched science (NASA's done it) thus the koi are healthier and grow faster. Like what the other member has said there is no other filter on the market that does both biofilter and a radiating filter.

JR so what you are really saying is that the media does not emit FAR infrared radiation, but you acknowledge FAR infrared radiation does what researched science for so many years says it does? Or do you disregards both?

JR don't you think that momotaro could get sued for false advertising if the media doesn't emit FAR infared rays?

As you have no doubt done a bit of internet search and found biocera from korea, you should be able to find out that the japanese are one of the biggest users of FIR products and some of these products are marketed in US and have FDA approvals.

Do you still think that certain blends of ingredients heated at over at least 1000 degrees to form ceramic media cannot emit these FIR?

Common JR why don't you share with us what you are up to with bacteria house

Kingkong

I couldn tell you the exact mechanism of how the material emits the far infrared rays but from my shallow knowledge of physics it has something to do with the specific ingredients being heated to an extreme temperature where their atomic structure change and form what we see as the ceramic bacteria house. This changed state emits FIR indefinitely. From what I have read so far even our bodies emit FIR at around 8 to 10 micron wavelength. I am sorry I cant tell you the exact process yet of how it does but I am also sure that JR can't find the exact science to show it doesn't, right JR
      Otherwise he would have posted it already.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

JR some more information.

The Use of Infrared Heat to Produce Cardiovascular Conditioning

The August 7, 1981 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) reported what is common knowledge today: Many people who run do so to place a demand on their cardiovascular system as well as to build muscle. What isn't well known is that it also reported the "regular use of a sauna may impart a similar stress on the cardiovascular system, and its regular use may be as effective as a means of cardiovascular conditioning and burning of calories as regular exercise."

It has been found that the infrared sauna makes it possible for people in wheelchairs, those who are otherwise unable to exert themselves, and those who won't follow an exercising/conditioning program to achieve a cardiovascular training effect. It also allows for more variety in any ongoing training program.

Blood flow during whole-body hyperthermia is reported to rise from a normal five to seven quarts a minute to as many as 13 quarts a minute.

Due to the deep penetration of infrared rays (over one and a half inches into body tissue), there is a deep heating effect in the muscle tissue and internal organs. The body responds to this heat with a hypothalamic-induced increase in both heart volume and rate. Beneficial heart stress leads to a sought-after cardiovascular training and conditioning effect. Medical research confirms the use of a sauna provides cardiovascular conditioning as the body works to cool itself and involves substantial increases in heart rate, cardiac output, and metabolic rate. As a confirmation of the validity of this form of cardiovascular conditioning, extensive research by NASA in the early 1980's led to the conclusion that infrared stimulation of cardiovascular function would be the ideal way to maintain cardiovascular conditioning in American astronauts during long space flights.

Infrared Heat, Caloric Consumption, and Weight Control In its Wellness Letter, October 1990, the University of California Berkeley reported that "the 1980's were the decade of high-impact aerobics classes and high-mileage training. Yet there was something elitist about the way exercise was prescribed: only strenuous workouts would do, you had to raise your heart rate to between X and Y, and the only way to go was to "go for the burn." Such strictures insured that most 'real' exercisers were relatively young and in good shape to begin with. Many Americans got caught up in the fitness boom, but probably just as many fell by the wayside. As we've reported, recent research shows that you don't have to run marathons to become fit - that burning just 1,000 calories a week...is enough. Anything goes, as long as it burns these calories."

Guyton's Textbook of Medical Physiology reports that producing one gram of sweat requires 0.586 kcal. The JAMA citation above goes on to state that "A moderately conditioned person can easily sweat off 500 grams in a sauna, consuming nearly 300 kcal - the equivalent of running two to three miles. A heat-conditioned person can easily sweat off 600 to 800 kcal with no adverse effect. While the weight of water loss can be regained by rehydration, the calories consumed will not be." Since a sauna helps generate two to three times the sweat produced in a conventional hot-air sauna, the implications for increased caloric consumption are quite impressive.

Assuming one takes a sauna for 30 minutes, some interesting comparisons can be drawn. Two of the highest calorie output exercises are rowing and running marathons. Peak output on a rowing machine or during a marathon burns about 600 calories in 30 minutes. An infrared sauna may better this from "just slightly" up to 250 percent by burning 900 to 2400 calories in the same period of time. It might in a single session simulate the consumption of energy equal to that expended in a six- to nine-mile run.

The infrared sauna can therefore, play a pivotal role in both weight control and cardiovascular conditioning. It is valuable for those who don't exercise and those who can't exercise and want an effective weight control and fitness maintenance program, and the benefits regular exercise contribute to such a program.

History of the Sauna and Development of Infrared Technology

The Finns popularised sauna use. Their ancient religious ceremonies used it for mental, spiritual, and physical cleansing. Use of the sauna in their religion stayed with them when they migrated between 5,000 and 3,000 BC from an area northwest of Tibet to their present location in Finland. Native American Indians used sweat lodges for cleansing and purifying, recognizing the health benefits of a sweat as well.

Dr. Tadashi Ishikawa, a member of the Research and Development Department of Fuji Medical, received a patent in 1965 for a zirconia ceramic infrared heater used in the first healing infrared thermal systems. Medical practitioners in Japan were the only ones using infrared thermal systems for 14 years. In 1979, they were finally released for public use. The technique has been further refined into infrared thermal systems that have been sold in the United States since 1981. One use of infrared heat in the United States has been in the form of panels used in hospital nurseries to warm newborns.

World-Wide Reports on Infrared Sauna Use
      Over the last 25 years, Japanese and Chinese researchers and clinicians have completed extensive research on infrared treatments and report many provocative findings. In Japan, there is an "infrared society" composed of medical doctors and physical therapists dedicated to further infrared research. Their findings support the health benefits of infrared therapy as a method of healing.

There have been over 700,000 infrared thermal systems sold in the Orient for whole-body treatments. An additional 30 million people have received localized infrared treatment in the Orient, Europe, and Australia with lamps, which emit the same 2 to 25 micron wave bands as employed in a whole-body system. In Germany, physicians in an independently developed form have used whole-body infrared therapy for over 80 years.

tewa

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi JR

Just found a bit on some other materials that emit FIR

Researchers in Japan have also performed studies of this infrared energy from the human palm, which they call Kikoh. At the Niwa Institute for Immunology in Tosashimizu, Japan, researchers examined Kikoh as well as materials that emit far-infrared radiation, including common granite stone, tourmaline (a type of granite), ceramic disks and hot spring water.

tewa

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

JR

I am sure you have read the many sites, that have explained how FIR activates water molocules by breaking the water cluster down which aids in detox and elimination of waste. It is even used in cancer therapy for humans, wouldn it be possible for the organic waste to be changed in a molecular level by FIR to something less toxic like what the other members post said and something that is either easily degassed or consumed by other bacteria?

A simple search on the net of FIR emitting ceramics yields 116000 results there are many products made from bio ceramics that emit FIR sold for improving health, what is it that makes you doubt that bacteria house does not emit FIR, or is it just the fact that momotaro came up with the idea that is so popularly used to improve human health for the koi that he loves breeding and that we users of bacteria house don't even use the benefits of FIR for ourselves but for our beloved koi!

Maybe taking a dip in the koi pond ain't so bad in summer

You might say a human and a koi is different physically but I think even you can relate that the health benefits of FIR would also extend to koi, oh I forgot it has also been used for pig farming to make the pigs healthier

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi stephen

I don't know about cleansing mentally and spiritually does JR need it

Only kidding JR no offense intended at all.

All I am saying is that science has proven FIR vibrates water molecules at around 8 ot 14 microns, this aids metabolism and also detoxifying.

Maybe if JR sat in a room full of BH with him sitting in the middle he will really feel better :heyhey:

All jokes aside I think the more BH in a filter definitely the more effects of FIR on the water. This is not to say that a small amount of BH will not emit FIR but I think the effect will be related to how much water you put over the media. If a high turnover rate is used then it would make sense that more media will give larger surface area for the higher amount of water to be exposed to FIR. Many people have said that just adding 10 to 20kg of BH have resulted in increases of appetite even in submerge filters.

tewa

Gene is offline Supporting Member
      is Still Alive!

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by stephen
      The Finns popularised sauna use. Their ancient religious ceremonies used it for mental, spiritual, and physical cleansing.
      Ain't nothing like a litte FIR to get you going. Now ya'll know why I never need any sleep!

Don't try this at home.

Gene

WWKC Lifetime Pro Member #1

http://www.koiclay.com

The only failures are those that stop trying! There is a very thin line between procrastination and delayed gratification. You won't be happy with what you want, if you aren't happy with what you have. It's not what you are looking at, but where you are looking from.

kingkong is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

OK, Electromagnetic spectrum of radiation starts with visible light. Red is a long wave and violet is the short. Then there is non visible microwaves, infrared, ultraviolet light radiation, then x rays and gamma rays. Infared light (IL) has a range of wavelengths just like visible light has from red to violet. "Near IL" is the closest to visible light and "Far IL" is closer to the microwave region.
      Far IL waves are thermal in the form of heat yes. When an object is not quite hot enough to radiate visible light, it will emit energy in the IL spectrum. An ice cube emits IL, but the warmer the object, the more IL radiation it emits. I guess the sun would be the largest supplier of Far IL.

JPR is offline Inactivated
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Tewa, we have already had these conversations about FIR technology on Koi Bito and NI way back. In America there was a fad for a while regarding magnets. The science made certain statements about magnetic fields and its benefits for healing. Soon it was for everything from human blood chemistry to emotional moods. Franchise were then sold and magnets were recommended to be worn on wrist bands and under your pillow while you sleep. In two years the fad was pretty much over.
      A very popular pillow is being sold here in the states and is recommended because NASA supposedly developed this material.
      I was in a noodle shop with a Japanese Breeder a few years ago and there was a chart on the wall showing how different kinds of noodles healed certain organs of the body and made them function better.
      I use a fired cay ceramic media in filters on occasion that is super heated at 1200 degrees ( In fact it is one of the media I'm using now in one TT for Roddy's education). Is it of the raw materials that when heated produces radiation? Don't know- but it is a ceramic, forged at high temperature? It is pictured in the post I did showing the plastic media and the ceramic balls- similar to the ones on the Korean site by the way. Look up geolite or hydroponics and geolite. I've used it on and off for maybe a dozen years now- just a good biofilter that is semi-buoyant and easy to clean is all? No magic though--
      I remain skeptical of most of the above claims. All I require is a simple explanation. How does the media actually work and what does the 'changed' mulm and waste 'turn into?'

KEWA, do you sell this media? JR

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

There are a host of these ceramic and clay materials- I guess I could microwave them!

Brand names include Hydroton, Geolite, HydroKorrels, Hydroleca, "grow rocks" ...

LECA is made by baking pure natural clay at 1200 degrees Celsius for 3 hours in rotary kilns, the end product is pH neutral, doesn't degrade and is autoclavable. Capillary action on the surface of the lightweight pebbles allows it to absorb 40% of it's weight in water and also allows for efficient evaporation to help maintain a constant humidity level.

LECA is widely available through Hydroponics outlets, many garden centers (orders may be available) and also through many concrete companies, quantities greater than a ton may apply for purchases but frequently if you tell them you only need a few pounds they may give it to you.

A similar product available mostly in Europe is Seramis. (in the USA Isolite is an equivalent)

TEWA, this is the type of detail , as limited as this is, that I would like on bacteria house. Do you have that? JR

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

L5Vegan is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I've stumbled across a new product that is similar to BH but is actually heated to temps ranging from 1,300F to 2,200F for extended periods during "manufacture".
      Should have even more FIR.
      Unfortunately the money just isn't there for advertising.
      LINK HERE

Dan
      What you see is much less a matter of what you're looking at than where you're looking from.

I don't know much, but there's quite a bit that I choose to believe.

Hanyakoi is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by JPR

JR, I have 1 ton of these biocera ceramic mixs imported from Korea. I believe in these products.

We did 2 test with these ceramic mixs - not with koi but with goldfishes.
      Test 1

We placed 5 goldfishes in a small 1.5' tank and we used only biocera ceramic grandules. We did not water change - just top up those that was evaporated. We did no water change for 4.5 months and yet the goldfishes are alive!

Test 2

I have a 4' aquarium tank and in it I placed 9 goldfishes. This tank contains 2 kg of these biocera ceramic mixs. Today is already the 7th month with no water change! I just top up water evaporated - usually once a forthnight or once a week. No other media! The water till today are crystal clear, no slime sticks on all the glass walls of the aquarium. Can be considered clean glass walls. The goldfishes are all very healthy, continue eating and active. None died yet! **** and sediment are minimal.

Previously this tank was runned complete with media mat, coral shells, bio-rings, charcoal, etc - the complete mixs. The goldfishes won't last more than 2 months without water change, the glass walls are slimy and cloudly that you couldn't see through and **** sediments are plenty that it clogged the media mats. This method of keeping goldfishes consist alot of hardwork in upkeeping and cleaning but for the above with biocera, till today I have not done any cleaning of tank, water or media.

I attribute it to the biocera media which emits all that they claimed could do. Interesting but true!

We did other test too and the results was incredible! Believe it or not!

charlieliu is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I just want to share my experience with BHM. I started using Bakki with BHM on 5/1/05 on a very heavily stocked 1000 gallon pond.

Orp went from 160 to above 350 in about 50 days and stay above 350 since.
      Fish are growing faster.
      Colors are getting better, especially goshiki and shuishu.
      Wound heals faster.
      Fish are very very active.
      No debris in settling tank.(had doubt about BHM being able to handle fish waste when setup the system, so a settling chamber plumb in-line with a round black matala.) I had to clean the matala twice a week. A month ago, I decided to take the matala out, water parameter got better, and I cannot see any settlement in the settling chamber.
      The healthiest carpet algrea I have ever seen growing. No string algea. UV was turned off a month ago.

My conclusion is that BHM must have done something to take care of the fish waste and debris.

Here are a few shots of the pond. Look closely at the color of the algea.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

sorry, pictures did not get attached. here are the pictures.
      Attached Images Attached Images    

stephen is online now Koiphen Member
      WWKC Lifetime Charter Diamond Member #2
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Gentlemen Thank you very much for your fine and respected input to this board Glad You are Here But.............................

Super Magical Kryptonitic Rays Let's sell the fine product for what it is

I mean, I mean, I am afraid the next time I open up a Koi Mag, I will see David Copperfield advertising this product Hopefully they don't put that 80 gallon TV pond in the same ad with a herd of large Koi stuffed in it Most of the people hyping it are in some way involved in it deriving financial gain.

Some pics not using BH

poey is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

hi
      don't know about radioactive filter but something is definitely different.
      but heres a few pics of BHM in the top trays of my showers,this has been running water straight from the b/drains for around 16months now with no filter maintenance done at all.
      cheers Dave.

Gene is offline Supporting Member
      is Still Alive!

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by L5Vegan
      I've stumbled across a new product that is similar to BH but is actually heated to temps ranging from 1,300F to 2,200F for extended periods during "manufacture".
      Should have even more FIR.
      Unfortunately the money just isn't there for advertising.
      LINK HERE

Dan
      Thanks for the link, Dan! We must not forget "Nature's Own".

All the pieces of lava rock are about the same size and look about the same but there is a big difference in the density of them. Some are very hard and hold up well in the high flow rates needed for the Bakki Shower type filtration. The others are more porous and soft. They erode when used with the high flow rates needed to get the effects of a Bakki Shower. They are fine for slow flow rates in a trickle tower.
      Gene

WWKC Lifetime Pro Member #1

http://www.koiclay.com

The only failures are those that stop trying! There is a very thin line between procrastination and delayed gratification. You won't be happy with what you want, if you aren't happy with what you have. It's not what you are looking at, but where you are looking from.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Wow, a good flow of information from Asia and the UK. I have to admit, I see nothing new but interesting just the same.
      I'll have the media when I get a free moment to pick it up. I want to try the media in a system I know like the back of my hand so that I can assess the media's role in 'change', if change does indeed occur. I would also like to try this media in a green water situation as it will tell me a lot about it's ability to change water. Lastly, I would like to then switch back to plastic and my geolite media to observe degenerative change once again, if any.
      Honestly, the "Great Apple Juice Bottle' experiment series ( binding experiments at different pH levels) experiments along with the variations on nitrification cycles in a full TT system has me pretty busy right now. But once the media is installed in the big towers, the BH study should be pretty straight forward.
      Thanks for the offer stephen, on the equipment, but I think I'm set? I'll let you know.
      Also many thanks to a special dealer for offering the use of BH for the tests. I'll take very good care of it and will return it loaded with bacteria ( that is a GOOD THING! LOLs )
      JR

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

P.S.- this is a look at probably the OLDEST BH media in continuous use. It does get pretty 'mature' looking after several years. JR

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hype or not, I see real differences. Clear water is one thing, clear water plus healthy, vibrant fish is another. I am just happy that my maintenance time is cut way down. No matala to clean, what a hassle it is to drag it out of the settling tank and hose it off. I am no scientist, nor a water parameter guy, but result is what makes me happy about it. This is the closest thing to a maintenance free filtration as it can get.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast