Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2734353637

Thread: How to make a phoam phraxionator, 1300-1500 gph

Raven2014
    Want and Willing to learn
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan25 View Post
    could probably get away with a 1.5" exit but no point in doing that in my opinion. I'd rather have too much opening than too little. The key is the water level in the TEE, as well as "dwell" time.
    I read about "what create the phoam" a lot in this thread and your two other build threat, but coudn't really draw a conclusion on it. It seems the splashing is what created the foam. If that is the case, do you think I can compensate for the length of the tower by using a small diameter spray bar at the top to pressure the water really hard against the media? Is that a good idea at all?

I will use the 4" TEE and 2" outlet pipe.

kntry
    has not specified a status.
    2017 KPOTY ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
    Hey Ethan.

This should make you cry happy phoam tears!

The pic was taken this morning.

After the flood, the PP wasn't producing any foam at all. I expected it to go crazy????

I started doing about 1' water changes to get the river water out of the pond and 2 days ago, it started producing like this.

Thank you so much for being brilliant!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Sandy
    CKK, KHA

ricshaw
    AKA Captain Obvious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven2014 View Post
    I read about "what create the phoam" a lot in this thread and your two other build threat, but coudn't really draw a conclusion on it. It seems the splashing is what created the foam. If that is the case, do you think I can compensate for the length of the tower by using a small diameter spray bar at the top to pressure the water really hard against the media? Is that a good idea at all?
    I will use the 4" TEE and 2" outlet pipe.
    My advice for anybody trying to make an Ethan style foam fractionator, is to make one that will produce foam using the directions before trying to modify or make one different.

Ethan25
    is also wondering.
    pm'str
    Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    Hey Ethan.

After the flood, the PP wasn't producing any foam at all. I expected it to go crazy????

I started doing about 1' water changes to get the river water out of the pond and 2 days ago, it started producing like this.

thanks so much!! I am always glad to see these! If you have hard water, the phraxionator will have trouble creating stable bubbles. The softer the water the better.
    Ephesians 2:8-9
    faith is a gift, not a personal talent.

Raven2014
    Finally get around to build one. It's a 3.5ft tall 4" with a 500GPH flow. After assembling "everything" I realize I made a very dumb mistake ... I forgot to put the strainer pasket in. After thinking about it I cut a large piece of sponge and jam it to the bottom where the 90 elbow is, do you know if this will affect the unit performance (like it makes the water too calm). Or anyone have an idea that I can someone insert a strainer down the tube?

ricshaw
    AKA Captain Obvious.
    Finally get around to build one. It's a 3.5ft tall 4" with a 500GPH flow. After assembling "everything" I realize I made a very dumb mistake ... I forgot to put the strainer pasket in. After thinking about it I cut a large piece of sponge and jam it to the bottom where the 90 elbow is, do you know if this will affect the unit performance (like it makes the water too calm). Or anyone have an idea that I can someone insert a strainer down the tube?

I don't think the piece of sponge will work. 4" diameter piece of plastic egg crate lighting panel will work. I just drop the "strainer" down the tube. If you have a 3.5 ft. long rod (dowel), you can use that to help guide the strainer down the tube.

Raven2014
    So I decided to cut off the pipe and "burnt/melt" the glue part to remove it, put in a strainer proper, reseal it and also extend the pipe by another ft. I don't get foam but seems like I'm getting quite a bit of air bubbles.

Ethan25
    is also wondering.
    pm'str
    So I decided to cut off the pipe and "burnt/melt" the glue part to remove it, put in a strainer proper, reseal it and also extend the pipe by another ft. I don't get foam but seems like I'm getting quite a bit of air bubbles.
    Where is your water level in the base of the unit? Do you have a valve on the exit?

Ethan25
    is also wondering.
    pm'str
    Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    Hey Ethan.

still producing at all?

Raven2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan25 View Post
    Where is your water level in the base of the unit? Do you have a valve on the exit?
    Yes, I have a 2" Valve and adjust the flow so the water come up to base of the top part on the 4x4x4. My pond is still news so I'm not sure if it has enough DOC for the unit to work yet, my 3" water is still clear to the bottom but the waterfall still generating foam that make the surface look unsightly. Just wondering if the bubble I'm getting is normal. My tower is filled with Bio Barrel btw.

Ethan25
    is also wondering.
    pm'str
    Yes, I have a 2" Valve and adjust the flow so the water come up to base of the top part on the 4x4x4. My pond is still news so I'm not sure if it has enough DOC for the unit to work yet, my 3" water is still clear to the bottom but the waterfall still generating foam that make the surface look unsightly. Just wondering if the bubble I'm getting is normal. My tower is filled with Bio Barrel btw.
    If there are no docs in the water and a normal waterfall isn't creating foam, this won't yet either, but make sure it runs as it will prevent phoam and will add to your aeration as well as your bio

kimini
    has not specified a status.
    FYI: 6" PVC drain pipe is much cheaper than than schedule-40 (pressure-rated) PVC pipe and is available in 10-ft sections. Look for it at agricultural/landscaping places - Home Depot and Lowes typically won't have it.
    Last edited by kimini; 11-22-2016 at 10:19 AM.
    Build a sports car from scratch! Check out midlana.com and kimini.com

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2734353637