• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Considering a Filter Pit

lkstaack is offline Member
      is Learning

Feeling:
      Amused

Considering a Filter Pit

I am exploring the possibility of building a filter pit, with the knowledge that a gravity fed filter is better, but a pump fed unit is so much more convenient. If I did build one, it would have to go in this area:

Name:  20180511_170043_resized.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  151.7 KB

Probably near this corner where my garden pond hardware is. The waterfall is on the other side of the fence near the corner.

Name:  20180511_170106_resized.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  158.1 KB

My biggest concern is that I don't know if there is enough room. The narrowest area is 5 feet wide, but that is right up against my fence and mow strip. I haven't settled on a filter system, but if I went gravity fed, I'm leaning towards a Deepwater Koi Draco system and DIY shower. One of my goals for a new pond is a filtration system that is super simple to manage. How much room to either side of the filter assemblies is desirable for maintenance? I don't know the dimensions of Deepwater's system, but I guess that it is about 24" x 30". Add a pump and pluming, it will probably take up 5 feet before it goes to the shower? So, is 1 1/2 foot on either side of the filter system adequate for getting around it and keeping it clean?

I have other concerns besides space (and the fact that hand digging it will be a real biatch). I'm concerned that it will look ugly and that it will become a magnet for yard waste, critters (rats and black widow spiders) and standing water. Since there isn't enough space for a shelter, are there other ways to make it look inconspicuous without it becoming a shelter for critters?

To recap: before I decide on building a filter pit, I would like to receive opinions on if it would fit into my small space with enough room for maintenance, and alternatives to a filter house. Thank you.
      -Lars

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

kevin32 is offline Inactivated
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Do gravity feed for sure and in this case the draco has a small footprint and would be great. A diy shower works great also so you are on the right track

Forgot to ask how big is the pond and pumps used?
      Last edited by kevin32; 05-11-2018 at 10:14 PM.

tbullard is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Zack may be able to build you a direct burial container for the RDF. This way you would only need a hole just big enough for the RDF. Waste would be the first issue but if he added a waste collection chamber with a trash pump that would take care of it. For the main pump to shower you could use a submersible style pump such as a Periha in the clean water side of the RDF. Maybe cover it with small wood deck that you could lift off for access.

Name:  Draco.jpg
Size:  44.3 KB

lkstaack is offline Member
      is Learning

Feeling:
      Amused

Quote Originally Posted by kevin32 View Post
      Do gravity feed for sure and in this case the draco has a small footprint and would be great. A diy shower works great also so you are on the right track

Forgot to ask how big is the pond and pumps used?
      Nothing is locked in yet, but I'm thinking around 3K gallons in ground. I'm not certain what my pump needs are yet. Once water gets to the filter, part will have to be pumped up about 5 feet to a shower with the rest to TPRs.
      -Lars

Zac Penn is offline Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by tbullard View Post
      Zack may be able to build you a direct burial container for the RDF. This way you would only need a hole just big enough for the RDF. Waste would be the first issue but if he added a waste collection chamber with a trash pump that would take care of it. For the main pump to shower you could use a submersible style pump such as a Periha in the clean water side of the RDF. Maybe cover it with small wood deck that you could lift off for access.

Name:  Draco.jpg
Size:  44.3 KB

Hey Trevor, you beat me to the punch on this one. I have been thinking about building a container very similar to this for the DracoDrums. I have another customer that is concerned about the total space required for everything so I was going to design your exact plan with a built-in waste chamber and enough room in the clean water side for submersible pumps.

The options really are endless with these drop-in versions of the DracoDrum RDF.
      Zac Penn.... Please sign-up for our MAILING LIST HERE
      904-294-2231
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007