• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: pond size calculation

maygarden is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

pond size calculation

I was trying to get a general idea about the size of the pond I am going to build using 4 different pond calculators (found on the web) and they gave me all 4 diffrent results (from 3780 Gal to 6000 Gal )!!!!!!@#$^%
      I don't know which one should I trust, so I am asking you for your help to get a closed estimate of what volume I am going to get for my pond.
      Here is the dimensions of the pond I am planning to build: 16' x 10' (oval shape) max depth 5', average depth 4'.
      Thanks-

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

BAVOTOI is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

To calcu pond size L X W X MD X 7.48 = gallon of water in pond plus add water in filter.

Also look and ask questions?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by BAVOTOI View Post
      To calcu pond size L X W X MD X 7.48 = gallon of water in pond plus add water in filter.

Also look and ask questions?
      Your fomular only applies to the rectangle pond. Mine is oval shape.

sworley is offline Senior Member
      is Still loving my pond!

Feeling:
      Annoyed

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is also strong enough to take away everything you have." -- Thomas Jefferson

Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
      Maxine

GloriaL is offline Supporting Member
      is YADA YADA YADA YADA WWKC Life
      time Diamond Member

Feeling:
      ----

Oval is a concept that has many meanings LOL! Is your pond rectangular with rounded ends or is the length and width constantly changing? What kind of slope are you going to have on your sides- straight up with block or poured wall construction or dirt and liner only with a gradual slope to all the sides? All of these factor into how many gallons you will have. Almost no one ends up with more water than they thought they were going to have unless you add massive amounts of filtration as an afterthought. Are you looking for the most water that footprint will hold? Use straight sides with blocks and dig deeper. Do you already have a certain number of fish and a specified number of gallons that you want for each fish? Tell us what your goal is and we will help you as much as we can, but until you meter in your water you will not know how many gallons you have. We can all guess but your construction will determine the gallons.
      GloriaL
      YADA YADA YADA YADA WWKC Life time Diamond Member # 10

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by GloriaL View Post
      Oval is a concept that has many meanings LOL! Is your pond rectangular with rounded ends or is the length and width constantly changing? What kind of slope are you going to have on your sides- straight up with block or poured wall construction or dirt and liner only with a gradual slope to all the sides? All of these factor into how many gallons you will have. Almost no one ends up with more water than they thought they were going to have unless you add massive amounts of filtration as an afterthought. Are you looking for the most water that footprint will hold? Use straight sides with blocks and dig deeper. Do you already have a certain number of fish and a specified number of gallons that you want for each fish? Tell us what your goal is and we will help you as much as we can, but until you meter in your water you will not know how many gallons you have. We can all guess but your construction will determine the gallons.
      Thanks Sarah and Gloria,
      The calculator from the link Sarah provided is probaly accurate for the perfect oval shape which gave me the result of 3780 Gal. Mine is almost rectangular with rounded ends like Gloria mentioned above, so it will be a little more than 3780 gal. I understand that I will not know exactly how many gallons I would get unless I meter in the water, however the estimate is good enough for me to get start on my planning.
      BTW: I figured out the fomular for calculating the volume on the oval pond (perfect oval shape) if any one's interested.
      Volume= (Length/2) x (Width/2) x (Avg Depth) x 3.1416 x 7.48

andrew davis is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Throwing the dimensions and shape into a technical drawing program which can auto calculate areas is a quick and convenient way to tinker with estimates

Regards, andy
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/21940871@N06/
      http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l42/adavisus/

flobb is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

if you have a rectangle with round ends then try doing the sum of two shapes, a rectangle and a circle.

cut the rectangle out of the middle and use the two ends to form a circle. then just add them together. this assumes you cut the same size off both ends and the depth is the same at both ends.

keithww is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The area of an ellipse(oval) is given by Pi*a*b So 3.148*8*5= 136 SQ FT at an average depth of 4.5 feet that gives a volume of 612 cubic feet. At 7.48 gallons per cf you would have volume of 4577 gallons.

a and b are 1/2 the length and 1/2 width

GloriaL is offline Supporting Member
      is YADA YADA YADA YADA WWKC Life
      time Diamond Member

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by keithww View Post
      The area of an ellipse(oval) is given by Pi*a*b So 3.148*8*5= 136 SQ FT at an average depth of 4.5 feet that gives a volume of 612 cubic feet. At 7.48 gallons per cf you would have volume of 4577 gallons.

a and b are 1/2 the length and 1/2 width
      This however assumes vertical pond walls.
      GloriaL
      YADA YADA YADA YADA WWKC Life time Diamond Member # 10

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

boggen is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

goto www.worldwidekoiclub.org
      then click (pond building info)
      then click (calculators)
      then click (pond volume and surface area)

i did a bunch of general shapes. that you can just click on and enter the info. and it also gives the math for each shape.

some of the shapes are just surface area (for example length x width x average depth) some shapes are for cube shapes like (length x width, depth), other cube shapes are for triangles, spheres, and like.
      Pond and Construction Forum 101 good place for any first timers to the forum. for finding resources and general info.

Ryan

lukef is offline king of the lilliputians
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

"MD" should never be used to calculate gallonage...in many cases it will over-exagerate the size of the pond and if thta number is used for dosing all the koi could die.
      "Those aren't poodles. They're Dobermans with afros."

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007