• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Opinions~ what are considered the more sensitive breeds?

golden girl is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Opinions~ what are considered the more sensitive breeds?

Like plants, kids.. LOL, are their hardier Koi then others?? While reading I frequently come across this statement.. "As this breed is a more sensitive koi"

If so which are the less Sensitive, which are considered to be the most sensitive???

Thanks bunches

Love your Life, You only get one chance at it!!!!!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Amsterdam is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I don't know if this will help, but Dick listed some koi that are a bit hardier or "learner koi". I am sure others will chime in shortly.

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101596
      Last edited by Amsterdam; 09-09-2009 at 09:25 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
      The crapier the Koi, the heartier it is.

Was that the CARPIER.. OR CRAPIER?? lmao
      so what consitutes crapier???

Tommygug is offline Senior Member
      is Happily Retired!!!

Feeling:
      ----

The crapier the Koi, the heartier it is.
      Well said!!! I would have to agree.
      I have an (ulgy) original koi 10 years old, he survived my pool collapsing all the chorinated water going in the pond, lived for 5 days and is still alive 5 years later. Hardy just doesn't say it...

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

S.hit fish!!!!!!! Read post #5
      Shiaaty fish to you sir...
      wink wink.. sounds more Koi like

dick benbow is offline "The Koi Coach"
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi Carol,
      Koi that have been intensley bred to perfect thier pattern tend to occupy the position.
      Kohaku, showa, Sanke are the best examples albeit there are others..

The gosanke problem was getting quite accute when Toshio Sakai, crossed back in the genes of the magoi or wild carp and then rebuilt thru generations of work ,the pattern. Since them many others have followed his example to the benefit of many favorite color varieties.

Genetics is quite the fascinating study. As a youth I mastered racing Pigeons with line breding and outcrossing to achieve hybred vigor. I could tell when the baby was in the nest and the color it's feathers were becoming whether it would best be used as a breeder or racer.
      Koi on the other hand and all carp classed species are just a wee bit more challenging....
      Dick Benbow
      "The Koi Coach"
      member Team Purdin

koi4u2c is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hardiness: Years ago I had a lot of problems with new koi. If I could get them through quarantine and the first few months in the main pond I generally had good luck with them.

If they were in the main ponds for over a year then they seemed to be as hardy as any, that includes imports, domestics, koi that raised here (including the uglys-which are near impossible to kill), and an occasionaly koi/goldfish hybrid-super hardy and near impossible to remove from the pond since they are so well camoflauged and disappear when you go after them.

For years I thought the problem of getting them through quarantine and the first year was all my fault, but now I think it was more about the koi that I purchased. They were bought locally and the people who sold them did not quarantine them properly before hand. They usually came with parasites (and in the beginning I was not knowledgeable about parasites). They were stressed and often broke with ulcers within days of my purchase. I eventually learned to treat all as soon as I received them and this helped a great deal in their health and survival.

But the best thing I learned about new fish was finding a few venders/suppliers that followed proper protocol and quarantined fish properly before selling them.

There are several now that are on my buy from list, and I will try to stay away from all those that I have found to sell less than healthy fish.

Russell Peters is the only one I have purchased from in the last 2 years and I have been very happy with his fish.

There are a number of other suppliers on this site who also have a good reputation from their customers.

But no matter who you purchase from all need to be quarantined. It is very difficult and expensive to treat a large pond should you introduce some parasitic, bacterial infection, or virus into it.
      Nancy

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
      Hi Carol,
      Koi that have been intensley bred to perfect thier pattern tend to occupy the position.
      Kohaku, showa, Sanke are the best examples albeit there are others..

The gosanke problem was getting quite accute when Toshio Sakai, crossed back in the genes of the magoi or wild carp and then rebuilt thru generations of work ,the pattern. Since them many others have followed his example to the benefit of many favorite color varieties.

Genetics is quite the fascinating study. As a youth I mastered racing Pigeons with line breding and outcrossing to achieve hybred vigor. I could tell when the baby was in the nest and the color it's feathers were becoming whether it would best be used as a breeder or racer.
      Koi on the other hand and all carp classed species are just a wee bit more challenging....
      Thank you

Super Kindai is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by golden girl View Post
      Like plants, kids.. LOL, are their hardier Koi then others?? While reading I frequently come across this statement.. "As this breed is a more sensitive koi"

If so which are the less Sensitive, which are considered to be the most sensitive???

Thanks bunches
      Single colored koi such as Chagoi, Soragoi, Ogon, Karashigoi, etc and also premitive types such as Asagi, Kumonryu, Matsukawabake, etc are less sensitive, in other words, they are strong.

Ginrin, especially Ginrin gosanke........ Ginrin showa is the most weak / sensitive, in general.
      Last edited by Super Kindai; 09-09-2009 at 01:55 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you so much for explaining it with more description.. appreciate it..
      have a wonderful evening!!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by koi4u2c View Post
      Hardiness: Years ago I had a lot of problems with new koi. If I could get them through quarantine and the first few months in the main pond I generally had good luck with them.

If they were in the main ponds for over a year then they seemed to be as hardy as any, that includes imports, domestics, koi that raised here (including the uglys-which are near impossible to kill), and an occasionaly koi/goldfish hybrid-super hardy and near impossible to remove from the pond since they are so well camoflauged and disappear when you go after them.

For years I thought the problem of getting them through quarantine and the first year was all my fault, but now I think it was more about the koi that I purchased. They were bought locally and the people who sold them did not quarantine them properly before hand. They usually came with parasites (and in the beginning I was not knowledgeable about parasites). They were stressed and often broke with ulcers within days of my purchase. I eventually learned to treat all as soon as I received them and this helped a great deal in their health and survival.

But the best thing I learned about new fish was finding a few venders/suppliers that followed proper protocol and quarantined fish properly before selling them.

There are several now that are on my buy from list, and I will try to stay away from all those that I have found to sell less than healthy fish.

Russell Peters is the only one I have purchased from in the last 2 years and I have been very happy with his fish.
      There are a number of other suppliers on this site who also have a good reputation from their customers.

But no matter who you purchase from all need to be quarantined. It is very difficult and expensive to treat a large pond should you introduce some parasitic, bacterial infection, or virus into it.
      Thank you Nancy.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

koi4u2c is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You are welcome, Russell.

Keep it in mind when I place my next order.
      Nancy

Brutuscz is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Since I had over wintering problems with my pond, I can definitely tell which varieties are the weakest...and handled it the worst. By far...showa had the most trouble. all were affected negatively in some way. Shiro utsuri were next...some fine, some lousy. Sanke was the middle of the road, a few problems but recovered...kohaku did ok. Asagi, ochiba, no problems. Doitsu..not great, but ginrin were all fine.

If your desire to succeed is greater than your desire to fail, then you will succeed!!!

Tony Cymru is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

In my experience Kohaku have been the most problematical whilst Chags have been the most resilient.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007