PDA

View Full Version : Simple PVC glue question

chipmaker
12-24-2004, 02:49 PM
I noticed on a few of the various members websites and images theypost the glue they use is blue in color....I also noticed the glue used to join all of my hot tub parts together is also the same blue stuff. I have bought and used quite a lot of PVC glue of various brands over the years, but have never found this blue glue.......What brand is it and what is special about it if anything?

JanetMermaid
12-24-2004, 03:07 PM
I've seen the blue glue at wholesale irrigation supply stores. I even tried it -- once. I hated it. It eliminates the need for primer but I found it didn't hold as good. Maybe I just had a bad experience but I definitely didn't like it.

LeeFamilyKoi
12-24-2004, 03:23 PM
Swimming pool cpmanys carry the blue glue..I have used it before , but is unsightly..
I have never had any problems glueing with any type of glue..
Its all the same to me..

KoiValley
12-24-2004, 03:28 PM
I've never seen the blue glue, but then I've no pool! :( :( I've been using the Oatey "clear" all purpose glue for several years and I love it. No primer needed. :cool: :cool: :cool: Bonds pvc,cpvc,and abs plastics beautifully. :cool: :cool: :cool: Easy cleanup while it's wet, peels slowly from skin when dry. :eek: :eek: :eek: Much better than the abs or pvc specific glues.

Thomas T
12-24-2004, 03:35 PM
The blue PVC glue is available at Lowes. The blue color works as a visual indicator that the connection is glued. In large project, people sometimes do a dry lay-out of the pipes first then come back for the glue. It makes it a lot easier to spot an un-glued fitting before you permenantly set the pipes in place.

TT

woodyaht
12-24-2004, 04:09 PM
The glue I use is............. What is the brand?????? Oatley?

Ok got me curious, went out and took a pic. Oatley Rain or Shine. Very Good Stuff, My Lowes has it, but before I saw it there I used to have to get it at a irrigation supply house. It works wet or dry!

The other Blue glue that I have used is something like "Red Hot", Lowes and Depot normally have it as well.

Pacificcoastkoi
12-24-2004, 04:11 PM
most blue glues are a wet/dry glue, meaning they will still bond if the pipes are wet. personally I always get the pipes dry and I always use primer when glueing .it only takes a second ,and the primer really does prep the pipe for the glue. The Christies Red Hot Blue Glue is the one I prefer ,it works on both ABS and PVC

phil hunter
12-24-2004, 07:15 PM
HI,

I have used Rain R Shine for years, and am very happy with it. It will glue flexible pvc to regular pvc.

Phil

Koi Acres
12-24-2004, 07:28 PM
I always prime all my joints no matter what type of glue I am using. If the pipe has not been in service I use normal clear PVC glue, if the pipe in in use & you ned to add a fitting then I use wet set for cheap insurance to not have a weeping joint.

KoiValley
12-24-2004, 08:27 PM
I always prime all my joints no matter what type of glue I am using. If the pipe has not been in service I use normal clear PVC glue, if the pipe in in use & you ned to add a fitting then I use wet set for cheap insurance to not have a weeping joint.

I used to. ;) . ;) .but I haven't used a primer on the last three filtration systems I've built, including my own. :D :D :D No leaks except at a couple of threaded ends where I hand tightened and forgot to wrench it down a bit. :yes: :o :yes: :o :yes:

woodyaht
12-24-2004, 08:49 PM
I have never used primer, was told by a old timer, that as long as you put glue on both parts you'll never have a problem. I have never had a joint fail, except when I forgot to put the glue on!

Waterbug
12-28-2004, 05:16 AM
Glue is basically primer with plastic mixed in. The primer melts the pipe/fitting and the bits of plastic in the glue help bridge the gap. So using no primer will work most of the time. However using primer helps the melt the hard skin surface of pipe and fitting so you're going to get a better weld more often. Think of it as insurance. After you have to cut out a leaking fitting you will understand what cheap insurance it is. In the mean time no need to use primer. ;)

dcny
02-25-2005, 10:40 PM
Can you glue PVC fittings to ABS pipe? Went to my local hardware store and they said no. If you can, what glue do you use?

CarolinaGirl
02-25-2005, 10:50 PM
Can you glue PVC fittings to ABS pipe? Went to my local hardware store and they said no. If you can, what glue do you use?

You can glue PVC to ABS but you have to find a glue that says on the label it is for PVC and ABS. Rain and Shine (the blue stuff) is for PVC only. We have used it for years...works great!!

Cowiche Ponder
02-25-2005, 10:58 PM
Hubby has glued a few hundred miles of irrigation pipe, replaced who knows how many sprinkler heads :rolleyes: that get run over :D: Use the blue stuff, put on both pieces put em together, turn on the water :yes:

Graham
02-25-2005, 11:16 PM
No problem glueing ABS and PVC just find a transition glue

Now the blue stuff..I'm sure that Stephen has shares in that company..he likes to use LOTS of it. Ones of the things in FL in Jan was teaching Stephen how to glue joints.... ;) ;) ;) with a basic amount of glue

I showed him how to use a very low amount of the blue stuff.....and get good results :yes: ;) :cool:

He'll be able to find the pics better that I can :D:

hacnp
02-25-2005, 11:51 PM
I think I remember that pic. The one with water gushing :eek: ;)

Regards, Ken

Graham
02-26-2005, 12:02 AM
Ya that might be it :D: But... but... but... but he didn't wait tillthe glue had set :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;) :D:

hacnp
02-26-2005, 12:07 AM
I use more of it than glue by the number of cans I have laying around. :D:

Regards, Ken

JoeKoi
02-26-2005, 12:21 AM
I have tried most of the glues on the market over the years, and red hot blue glue works best. Another tip: since pvc pipe contains release compounds ( so the pvc will come loose from the molds) it is always better to lightly sand the fittings and pipe (with plumbers sand paper) before applying primer and glue. Also all glued connections should be allowed to cure properly before pressure testing. Just my two cents:D:

Joew

Kent Wallace
02-26-2005, 10:46 AM
Joe is right, the purpose of primer is to disolve and eliminate those release compounds. Also pipe is extruded and the surface is a little open or rough but molded fittings are extremely smooth. The primer helps roughen the surface also. I use Oatey transition cement on everything anymore.

luke-gr
02-26-2005, 11:55 AM
Kent, I cant see the glue for that THING in the backgoround :D:
:cool: :eek:

Kent Wallace
02-26-2005, 12:44 PM
I was hoping someone would notice. :yes: :yes:

Ron C
02-26-2005, 12:52 PM
HI,

I have used Rain R Shine for years, and am very happy with it. It will glue flexible pvc to regular pvc.

Phil

So does the Oatley's clear, that is what I use, but I do use to primer also, because it really preps the pipe well.... Plus I do also sand both edges. Before I went in the service I used to work for my uncle doing rough plumbing for new swimming pools in Arizona.

Mr Pete
02-26-2005, 02:52 PM
[QUOTE=Thomas T]The blue PVC glue is available at Lowes. The blue color works as a visual indicator that the connection is glued. In large project, people sometimes do a dry lay-out of the pipes first then come back for the glue. It makes it a lot easier to spot an un-glued fitting before you permanently set the pipes in place.

I understand that plumbing inspectors/code in many areas require purple primer to be used on jobs to verify, in fact, that the joint was properly primed before it was glued. :yes:

Gregory
02-26-2005, 06:12 PM
I like the "Christy's Red Hot Blue Glue" the best. I think it is better than the "Oatey Glue". Just priming is fine for new pipe, But always sand old pipe before you primer and glue it. Greg.

Harveythekoi
02-27-2005, 12:09 AM
It's all the same ingredients. Some have more of one than the other. MEK (MethylEthyelKeytone SP?) is the one that melts the pipe. Primer is almost pure MEK. The hotter glues have a higher concentration of it. Using primer with the hotter glues could actually soften the pipe too much. More of a problem with the smaller gauge sprinkler pipe than the schedule 40 we usually use.

Everyone has their preferences but a good clean pipe and a liberal amount of glue on both pipe & fitting usually does the trick.

The transition glues are just that, Glues. They are not solvents, designed to melt the plastic and weld the pieces together. They do make for a good joint though. I like the green stuff Kent pictured.

Garrett

dcny
02-27-2005, 12:57 AM
Thanks everyone. I was hoping that it wasn't true. I asked two different people at the store too and they both said it couldn't be done. :neener: