PDA

View Full Version : Medzyme vs Koizyme

SONATINE
10-14-2008, 11:44 AM
I've used Koizyme for years, ever since my first bout with ulcers one Spring. Since then, I've never experienced problems like that again. Now, it could be from using Koizyme every Spring and Fall or it could be that I've developed better pond keeping practices. But like a pitcher, preparing for the big game, has his rituals, I've got mine. Is anyone familiar with Medzyme? Apparently, it comes in liquid and powder but doesn't have to be refrigerated like Koizyme. Medzyme is also much cheaper in the powder form.

SONATINE
10-14-2008, 03:07 PM
Anyone?

SONATINE
10-15-2008, 10:40 AM
So, I take it either Koizyme rules or no one has ever heard of Medzyme. So many vendors here, I'm sure some of you carry Medzyme. What say you?

graybird
10-15-2008, 12:09 PM
Is it also known as Aqua-Medzyme? I'd like to know if anybody's used it too.

Simi Koi
10-15-2008, 12:55 PM
Its pretty new to the market. I wanted to try stocking it at the shop and tried to contact them several times but never got a response.

SONATINE
10-15-2008, 01:42 PM
Is it also known as Aqua-Medzyme? I'd like to know if anybody's used it too.

Yep, that's it. Thank you, I was thinking I was going to have a conversation with myself.

Its pretty new to the market. I wanted to try stocking it at the shop and tried to contact them several times but never got a response.

Well, that's not a good sign. I'm thinking of using it this time, then maybe I can do a review on PondProductsReview.com.

Koigrl
10-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Hello, all, sorry i missed this post. yes, medzyme is from aqua medzyme. i have used it all this year from May through present. i have had very good luck with this product in a dirty mud pond that holds over 200,000 gallons.

background: the pond is over twenty years old and was never cleaned or aerated, and i never knew i had a sick pond until i went kichi two years ago and then, my koi started to die.

i began using medzyme and medikoi -- their medicated food -- and another product by aquamedzyme, a sludge buster. i also used prazi on the entire pond once in May and once again a couple of weeks ago.

to date, my koi are healthy. any redness around fins and mouth did disappear while using this protocol and no ulcers developed. apart from three koi that were quite sick before i began using the products, i did not have the terrible die-off i'd experienced before.

my plan is to continue the medzyme for the next few weeks, stop using the sludge buster when the water temp reaches 50 and turn off the massive aeration i'm using now.

when the water temp goes up to 40 next year, i will start treating with medzyme, then at 50 degrees, feed medikoi, do the prazi and sludge buster treatments, too, and turn on the aeration.

the object is to start the year with healthy koi and then improve the pond.

some time in june or july, i will seine, drain, dredge and rehabilitate my mud pond. when i've done that, i'm hoping to cut down the use of some of these these products.

i saw the ad for aqua medzyme in koi nations magazine. the number i have for the manufacturer is 814-864-3908. the e-mail address is rick@aquamedzme.com and you should be able to get local distributor names from him.

good luck, everyone!
max

Koigrl
10-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Correction: looked it up.
the company name is Aqua Meds.
the phone # is 888-864-6919 est
the e-mail is rick@aquameds.com
sorry!

SONATINE
10-15-2008, 02:34 PM
:eek1: Prazi on a 200,000 gallon pond, twice?:eek1: I'd hate to see that bill. When you used the Medzyme, did you use the powder or liquid? How often did you have to apply it? I know with Koizyme, the initial dosage is once every 3 days then weekly.

tommyd
10-16-2008, 04:01 PM
Are there any water parameter requirements with either, i.e minimum water temps to be effective?

Regards,

Tommyd

Koigrl
10-16-2008, 04:23 PM
i have been using the medzyme weekly and was told i can use it down to 40 degrees.

SONATINE
10-16-2008, 04:26 PM
Aqua Medzyme states that it's effective down to 40 degree F and Koizyme is down to 50. According to MZ, it doesn't have to be refrigerated like KZ. I went ahead and ordered a bag of the the dry MZ to give it shot.