PDA

View Full Version : What is Mandu-Fu

Aussies5
09-08-2008, 04:00 PM
I see this mentioned a lot. It is a fish food or just a treat? Is there any purpose to it, other than the fish like it. Good for colors, whites, etc.

Where do you buy it?

premster
09-08-2008, 04:05 PM
overrated , treat food (which folks can throw their disposable income at)me thinks .. lol . I give mine krill in the summer months for a treat now that is good stuff.

rainblood
09-08-2008, 04:06 PM
Agreed treat. Agreed expensive treat. Made of fruits, etc.

Rick Gippner
09-08-2008, 04:27 PM
I've been asking what's in it for months. The fish sure like it though:yes:

Cowiche Ponder
09-08-2008, 04:56 PM
it can be an excellent fall/spring food with 98% digestibility.

wputnam
09-08-2008, 05:34 PM
Copied from manufacturers site:
What's Manda?

Manda Nishiki is a growth activatin ferment produced exclusively for Koi by fermenting a fine selection of more than 50 different fruits and plants for at least 3 years and 3 months. MANDA is originally produced as supplements for pregnant women and now is widely known healthy food for human. Because MANDA words to activate all the vital force, even in agriculture industry. it receives high reputation in growth promotion and quality improvements.
By pulling out natural vital force of Nishikigoi, Manda Nishiki will make Nishikigoi very healthy with strong resistance to environmental change and disease.
Manda Nishiki makes your Koi healthier, bigger and more beautiful.

Available from http://www.koipondcentral.com/koi_food/index.html
Those that use it tend to re-order more

vipldy
09-08-2008, 05:37 PM
Well then they get a piece then I get 2 pieces:rolleyes: since we humans can eat it to:D:

Rick Gippner
09-08-2008, 05:37 PM
Copied from manufacturers site:
What's Manda?

Manda Nishiki is a growth activatin ferment produced exclusively for Koi by fermenting a fine selection of more than 50 different fruits and plants for at least 3 years and 3 months. MANDA is originally produced as supplements for pregnant women and now is widely known healthy food for human. Because MANDA words to activate all the vital force, even in agriculture industry. it receives high reputation in growth promotion and quality improvements.
By pulling out natural vital force of Nishikigoi, Manda Nishiki will make Nishikigoi very healthy with strong resistance to environmental change and disease.
Manda Nishiki makes your Koi healthier, bigger and more beautiful.

Available from http://www.koipondcentral.com/koi_food/index.html
Those that use it tend to re-order more

Ok, still what's in it? What's its' nutritional profile. No one will or can say. :shrug:

mrpig
09-08-2008, 06:00 PM
...don't exactly know what's in it, but it looks like pink styrofoam packing peanuts to me.

ponderingkoi
09-08-2008, 06:05 PM
The koi like it, but like the shrimp even better. It absorbs water on contact, and gets spongy. It is light as a feather dry, and yes...kinda like packing peanuts. Supposed to be highly digestable and nutritious.

rosekoi
09-08-2008, 06:11 PM
Ok, still what's in it? What's its' nutritional profile. No one will or can say. :shrug:

Rick didn't you somehow translate the info.that comes with it?
Maybe I'am wrong but I thought it was you. Anyhow here's what I found on nutritional data.

crude protein (min.) 23%
crude fat (max) 5%
crude fiber (max) 4%
crude ash (max) 1.5%
moisture (max) 13%

Rick Gippner
09-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Rick didn't you somehow translate the info.that comes with it?
Maybe I'am wrong but I thought it was you. Anyhow here's what I found on nutritional data.

crude protein (min.) 23%
crude fat (max) 5%
crude fiber (max) 4%
crude ash (max) 1.5%
moisture (max) 13%

No I never found the info.

rosekoi
09-08-2008, 06:23 PM
No I never found the info.

Guess I was wrong again. Someone here took the info. that comes with it and had it translated .

Rick Gippner
09-08-2008, 06:28 PM
Guess I was wrong again. Someone here took the info. that comes with it and had it translated .

You may be right, I had posted the the insert and it was translated, but the info was incomplete. Gave some numbers, but not ingredients. So, I dismissed it and didn't file it into my memory banks :shrug:

rosekoi
09-08-2008, 06:33 PM
You may be right, I had posted the the insert and it was translated, but the info was incomplete. Gave some numbers, but not ingredients. So, I dismissed it and didn't file it into my memory banks :shrug:

So I CAN EDIT THE EARLY POST WHERE I SAID "GUESS I WAS WRONG";) ;)

John Russell
09-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Hi all,

Like someone said earlier - its made of 50 fruits, vegetables, seaweed, and grains. The manufacturer, Ryuko Shoji Co. Ltd. in Japan doesn't list what the actual fruit and vegetables are. It is distributed in the US by JapanKoiOnline - which is a division of the Kodama Koi Farm.

As many of you know, Russell Water, Gardens & Koi is partners with the Kodama Koi Farm. Manda-Fu is available at RW,G&K and many other dealers of Kodama Koi Farm products.

Manda-Fu is not intended as a diet staple - but a diet supplement. Its like a big fruit smoothy - or a big glass of V8 juice. It isn't cheap, but it is a great product for those that don't mind the price.

We feed Manda-Fu to our Koi as treats during the warmer months - and the only thing we feed the Koi at the start of spring and the end of fall. Because it's metabolized by Koi so quickly - it can be fed to Koi even when wheat germ can't. Its also the food we let children feed our Koi when they visit the store. You can guess, children love hand feeding Koi - and they do it all day long.

In environments where Koi routinely get "over-fed" - Manda-Fu is a great choice because it doesn't create a lot of Koi poop like other foods and treats can.

It also doesn't have a bad taste to humans - while I don't recommend eating it - for those of you that have Koi that take food right out of your lips - mouth to mouth style - its great when the Koi food doesn't leave a bad taste in you mouth. :yes: (You can see Pamela Russell "mouth feed" Manda-Fu to Koi at the end of the video on our web site www.russellwatergardens.com)

Thanks everyone!
Sincerely,
John Russell
CEO
Russell Water, Gardens & Koi

Cowiche Ponder
09-08-2008, 10:22 PM
John it was at the store out on Fall City/Redmond road that I got to hand feed my first koi :D: It was a kick start to the slippery slope of falling in love with hand feeding them.

As far as taste..I don't think it tastes like much of anything..but I have a fruit loving dog that will snitch them any time he gets a chance!

KoiBoy2008
09-08-2008, 11:44 PM
this is a very interesting 'snack' and not sure if the average ponder would want to spend that much money on a little bag of these, but it is a great way to get them to start feeding of your hand.

nmtsaki
09-08-2008, 11:56 PM
I like to feed Manda Fu in the spring and the fall, as stated by John Russell, because of its digestibility. Koi love it, and I have to agree with Cindy - my dogs love it too. I actually have to hide when I'm feeding it to the koi, since my biggest dog will try to knock the container out of my hands to get at it. HIM I can't afford to feed it to! Since (ahem), I don't feed regular fish food to my koi the rest of the time, I guess I can afford this in the spring and fall.

premster
09-09-2008, 12:33 AM
Nancy I am guessing the the doggie thinks fish food is fair game . lol

Rick Gippner
09-09-2008, 12:42 AM
Our rat likes it too:punk1:

nmtsaki
09-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Nancy I am guessing the the doggie thinks fish food is fair game . lol

you know, tit for tat.

premster
09-09-2008, 11:33 AM
lol .. I got squirrels and chipmunks stealing my food . Now I have to store it inside and keep a glass bottle out so that they cannot get in and eat all of it . lol . They like the restaurant so much that there is a family of 5 under the liner somewhere . lol My cat brings one or two in once in a while but he lets them go when I tell em to .