PDA

View Full Version : 55 Gal Settlement

DRnNY
05-03-2008, 12:00 PM
I have a few extra 55 gal plastic drums and I would like to use 1- for a settlement tank,2- for a s&g filter for a water fall (Kent Wallace) just substitute bactitwist and matting for the media. I read that the flow for s&g is about 2000 gph max. My Q is what is the max flow I can get thru a 55 gal settlement tank, my pond is going to be a little more than 2000 gal. Actually I went thru the start to finish ponds sticky and Kent's "Charles Pond Retro" was amazing,thats exactly what I want and the size would be look perfect in my backyard right off my patio. Also I know how big I want the pond and I know you should always wait to order the liner but because shipping costs will probably go thru the roof real SOON,I would like to get my liner now. Would it be ok to leave it in the box it comes in and not use it right away? It won't deteriorate or anything over time will it.Sorry about all the dumb Q's, but I figured this would be the best place to ask. Thanks to all-------- Koiphen is the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks
Dan

Pond,James_Pond
05-03-2008, 03:29 PM
Hi Dan, You've surely come to the right place. For your 2000 gallon pond, two 55g barrels could work fine. Question is, are you going to run a skimmer too? If so, then you could pull about 1000gph through the bottom drain to the settlement chamber and get the other 1000 out the skimmer. Both these sources could feed the SG filter.

The liner could sit for years in a clean dry cool place and not deteriorate.

good luck,
steve
(the "real" steve):D:

I have a few extra 55 gal plastic drums and I would like to use 1- for a settlement tank,2- for a s&g filter for a water fall (Kent Wallace) just substitute bactitwist and matting for the media. I read that the flow for s&g is about 2000 gph max. My Q is what is the max flow I can get thru a 55 gal settlement tank, my pond is going to be a little more than 2000 gal. Actually I went thru the start to finish ponds sticky and Kent's "Charles Pond Retro" was amazing,thats exactly what I want and the size would be look perfect in my backyard right off my patio. Also I know how big I want the pond and I know you should always wait to order the liner but because shipping costs will probably go thru the roof real SOON,I would like to get my liner now. Would it be ok to leave it in the box it comes in and not use it right away? It won't deteriorate or anything over time will it.Sorry about all the dumb Q's, but I figured this would be the best place to ask. Thanks to all-------- Koiphen is the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks
Dan

DRnNY
05-03-2008, 04:52 PM
Hi Steve.......Thanks for the reply.Actually I was going to set it up like this-BD=55 gal sc=pump=UltimaII for Bio and split the flow from bio to 1 Tpr and the rest of the flow to SG. The skimmer(Atlantic skimmer which I am already using for Mech. Filter) split the flow to another TPR and the rest of the flow to the same SG (waterfall). Will this work? Pond will be 10'diameter and 3.5' deep. BD plumbing will be 3" to SC and 2" out. Tpr will be smaller. Skimmer will be 2" to pump and SG. Tpr will also be smaller. All critics are welcome
Thanks
Dan

P.S. Pump sizes to be determined

birdman
05-03-2008, 05:37 PM
From your discription I would go with a 1500 gph pump. This is the right size for your 3" BD and the max a 55 gal barrel can handle for settlement.

DRnNY
05-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Can I get more flow if I made a static pre-filter instead of using it for a SC?

Pond,James_Pond
05-04-2008, 10:40 AM
Can I get more flow if I made a static pre-filter instead of using it for a SC?

Yes, but more flow for a pond of this size isn't required. My preference is to use settlement chambers as they're designed. It is just so dang easy to simply open a valve on the bottom and let out the pile of poop.

steve

DRnNY
05-04-2008, 05:47 PM
Thanks Steve for your replies.......I think I may have another option. Instead of using settlement from the BD,I have a Laguna filter falls that has been sitting in my garage collecting dust ,among other things. It might have to do some DIY to convert this to a mechanical filter. So I would gravity feed from BD=mechanical=pump= ultimaII=back to pond.The Sac. Koi Collector box is basiclly the same size and they claim the flow is a min. of 4000 gph,not that I would need that much but I would like to turn over at least once an hour(between 2000 and 2500). I think this may be able to work. Any thoughts on this?
Thanks
Dan

DRnNY
05-04-2008, 05:49 PM
Sorry ....one more Q, will I have to change my feed line from BD to 4" instead of 3" TA

Joey S
05-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Actually I was going to set it up like this-BD=55 gal sc=pump=UltimaII for Bio and split the flow from bio to 1 Tpr and the rest of the flow to SG. The skimmer - split the flow to another TPR and the rest of the flow to the same SG (waterfall). Will this work? Pond will be 10'diameter and 3.5' deep. BD plumbing will be 3" to SC and 2" out. Tpr will be smaller. Skimmer will be 2" to pump and SG. Tpr will also be smaller.Re: spliting the flows. I would suggest ALL the flow from the BD circuit goes to both the tprs. Then flow the skimmer circuit to the SG (falls) or the other way around - which ever way matches the flows better.

Reason: You're in a cold climate where most turn off the water falls in winter. Then you could still circulate thru the tprs or shut everything down. Keep in mind that pipes should be under your frost line, insulated, or will have to be drained for winter. Don't need frozen pipes.

birdman
05-04-2008, 07:48 PM
Thanks Steve for your replies.......I think I may have another option. Instead of using settlement from the BD,I have a Laguna filter falls that has been sitting in my garage collecting dust ,among other things. It might have to do some DIY to convert this to a mechanical filter. So I would gravity feed from BD=mechanical=pump= ultimaII=back to pond.The Sac. Koi Collector box is basiclly the same size and they claim the flow is a min. of 4000 gph,not that I would need that much but I would like to turn over at least once an hour(between 2000 and 2500). I think this may be able to work. Any thoughts on this?
Thanks
Dan
OK, if I understand you right, your going to use a big box with static media in it. Gravity flow from BD to static filter box then pump. Yes this should work.
BD size kind of depends on how much flow you want going through this static filter. 3" can handle 2500 gph, 4" can go 3500.

DRnNY
05-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Hi Steve.....yes I figure that should get alot of if not all the big stuff.The media I was thinking about using is brushes(preferably Black Knight) the ones that came with the filter are kinda flimsy, then different densities of Matala matting and then apiece of the reticulated foam. Do you have any suggestions for media that would work better? Thanks

birdman
05-05-2008, 01:04 AM
Hi Steve.....yes I figure that should get alot of if not all the big stuff.The media I was thinking about using is brushes(preferably Black Knight) the ones that came with the filter are kinda flimsy, then different densities of Matala matting and then apiece of the reticulated foam. Do you have any suggestions for media that would work better? Thanks
Not really, just pack it in what ever you use and make sure it has a block valve going out you can close when you flush and clean it.

wputnam
05-05-2008, 01:24 AM
In the following diagram, substitute the vortex for your barrels....
http://www.koipondfiltering.com/images/filter_images/BDS-VPFL_pond_filtering.jpg (http://www.koipondfiltering.com/images/filter_images/BDS-VPFL_pond_filtering.jpg)

Bye the way, with the years of using 55 gal drums for SC, I would use the 3-way that has one input from the skimmer and the other input from the SC barrel to throttle the barrels flow rate to work. (Flow rate max is 1800 gph for 22" diameter 55 gal. drums.)

This way you could use a large enough pump to feed the filter and you will also want 2000 gph going through the skimmer to achieve surface draw into it...