PDA

View Full Version : Egg Bound Goldfish ?

Headache
05-24-2007, 10:20 AM
Went over to a friends house the other day . She has a goldfish that has been swollen up since last fall (Egg Bound) ? Is there anything she/me can do to relieve the fish of this problem ? The fish seemed fine (eating , swimming , etc.) other then the beach ball shape .

Ethan25
05-24-2007, 04:35 PM
do the scales stick out?

I went to walmart over in Hannibal missouri two years ago. They had a two 10-12 inch long goldfish....one was shaped like a ball. They said it had just gotten that way in the last year or so. I told them it could be sick.

They wouldn't listen to me.

Ethan

warrenrrrr
05-24-2007, 05:06 PM
A little squeeze may help.

Rudy
05-24-2007, 05:27 PM
:no: This is from my own experience so go from there. I have a ton of goldies and if one has been egg bound that long there is not much you can do. Wait until it can't swim right anymore then do the right thing. They will eat like nothing is wrong.
That's just me, sorry.

Seleya
05-24-2007, 05:44 PM
What variety of goldfish is it?

Lee B
06-05-2007, 09:47 AM
What variety of goldfish is it?

Good point. If it's a comet, a Sarassa, a shubunkin or one of the other goldies that looks like a FISH as opposed to a golfball with fins, then it's a problem. But if it's an Oranda, a Ryukin, a Lionhead or Ranchu, etc. - it's kinda hard to tell the difference between "normal" and "egg bound". They just appear to get bigger, that's all. As babies, little guys, they appear normal. Then one day they start to "balloon" and take on their adult shape. After that, they just seem to grow :rolleyes: .

FishOCD
06-05-2007, 09:53 AM
Yes my large unquestionably male fantail looks like he's wearing saddlebags (as do the females).

Is there a male with her? May help get rid of excess eggs. (Maybe not. Although my male fantail has tried incessantly to spawn with female veiltail, she has never given up the goods, so to speak.)

Headache
06-05-2007, 09:54 AM
Basic Fantail , but when you look at the whole pond , this Goldfish really stands out because of it's shape .

Sorry for my slow reply , I have way too much going on , I simply forgot about the fish .

cindy
06-05-2007, 10:03 AM
try feeding peas. Squeeze a pea and it sinks. Might be constipation.

If it didn't absorb the eggs, it might be a tumor. Is it swollen on both sides?

Headache
06-05-2007, 10:52 AM
Yes , swollen on both sides . She fed the fish and it came up to eat just like the others .

cindy
06-05-2007, 11:31 AM
It could be fluid. Here's pic of Dr. Roberts doing an aspiration on a goldie

http://thegab.org/Articles/CystAspiration.html