PDA

View Full Version : wondering. how to remove ice build up in a pipe

boggen
12-10-2006, 05:17 PM
got a basement floor drain. that feeds out to a ravine area.
guessing aroun 60 foot length of pipe.

needless to say i iced up the pipe. fairly good. going down the ravine and looking at end of pipe you can see where water was flowing and layered up with ice as the water went through the pipe:frown:

i can get about 16 oz of water down the drain / pipe in about 10 minutes :mad:

anyone know of anything i can dumb down the drain. to break up the ice?

vipldy
12-10-2006, 05:20 PM
got a basement floor drain. that feeds out to a ravine area.
guessing aroun 60 foot length of pipe.

needless to say i iced up the pipe. fairly good. going down the ravine and looking at end of pipe you can see where water was flowing and layered up with ice as the water went through the pipe:frown:

i can get about 16 oz of water down the drain / pipe in about 10 minutes :mad:

anyone know of anything i can dumb down the drain. to break up the ice?

Freezing just at where the pipe comes out:confused: How deep is the pipe buried? Maybe mix up hot water and rock salt??

Marie

mrpig
12-10-2006, 05:28 PM
... additional thoughts... Heat tape (if exposed). Bypass it until it thaws, by using a temporary drain setup.

lilhelper
12-10-2006, 05:32 PM
Maybe if you add some salt to your pond. and get a hot water towel and wrap it around the pipe. Or blow torch.

boggen
12-10-2006, 05:40 PM
the pipe is underground like 10 feet plus deep. until the last like 3 feet (horzontailly)) were it really slopes down on the hill. then the pipe comes out of the ground.

sadly it seems like the ice is built up clear up into the pipe :/ instead of just the end. if it was just the end i prolly be up and running by now.

when i messing around redoing indoor pond. i put my hand on the old washer drain. and realized i was getting a pretty nice draft of air come up through the pipe. and of course the old washer drain pipe uses the same pipe that the floor drain is hooked into that feeds into the ravine. and this is were i am guessing the nice cold air come into the pipe and caused the water to freeze up on me.

will try the ice salt and hot water mixture and cross finges.

thx all.

luke-gr
12-10-2006, 05:46 PM
Boggen, if Im understanding correctly, it cant go but so far. Even a couple feet underground should keep it from freezing (OK maybe more in your area :))

What about following the pipe back a couple feet and digging a hole down to it and plugging in a hair dryer and leave it sitting there pointing down into the hole?

bbriggs
12-10-2006, 05:50 PM
I use a length of 3/4" PVC pipe with a garden hose adapter on one end, connect to hose and direct water on the ice at the bottom end. It melts pretty fast, you can slowly push the pipe into the block of ice until you get through. Then run water from the top until the ice is gone, it may just blow the whole plug right out.

Dillon
12-10-2006, 05:50 PM
Any way to keep the cold air out of the washer drain pipe? That sounds like your main problem (if you feel a cold draft). Insulating the last three feet would not hurt either but I am not sure how you will be able to deal with the water freezing after exiting the pipe. If the flow is slow enough it may dam up.

pskorf
12-10-2006, 05:59 PM
maybe an idea for next year.when i buried my pipe for inside pond i ended up putting into perforated drain tile buried of course then went about 4 ft. of sewer rock to let water run out through and get pipe buried well in ground .rock also keeps mice or such from running up pipe.

boggen
12-10-2006, 06:31 PM
woot problem solved. salt and hot water Oh YA!

it took a little while to break open that inital sepage spot or what ever it was, but the floor drain is functional again!!

just get done droping a couple 32 oz size cups of drive way melt salt into the drain and hot water spigot ((aka garden hose)) on full blast!!

letting hot water run down the drain as i type this up. just to get anything else out of the drain.

----------------
side notes of things i have tried this evening.
--toilet plunger **shakes head** very bad idea. might have to clean a few things off from some splashing.

--filling up shop vac. and then tapeing drain hose off of shop vac into drain. to see if i could get couple extra feet of head to push the stuff out.

--just plain hot water.

--bleech ((from mopping))

--waste water from filters. it had to go!!!

boggen
12-10-2006, 06:35 PM
Any way to keep the cold air out of the washer drain pipe? That sounds like your main problem (if you feel a cold draft). Insulating the last three feet would not hurt either but I am not sure how you will be able to deal with the water freezing after exiting the pipe. If the flow is slow enough it may dam up.

kinda thinking the old washing machine drain pipe. has no P trap or the like. to prevent air flow from coming back up into the house.

i just graped a roll of duct tape and taped the washing machine drain up for now... will at later date get a cap that i can put over the drain.

boggen
12-10-2006, 06:40 PM
maybe an idea for next year.when i buried my pipe for inside pond i ended up putting into perforated drain tile buried of course then went about 4 ft. of sewer rock to let water run out through and get pipe buried well in ground .rock also keeps mice or such from running up pipe.

i have and still am hunting for sepage bed / septic field info for another pond that i am going to be putting in. had a thread a week or so ago asking about them.

i defently due like idea of being able to put water to a sepetic field. than letting un-treated water run down into some ravin. as it is now. i gotta watch what i do put down the drains for the one pipe :/

Dillon
12-10-2006, 06:44 PM
How long did it take w/ the hot water?

IMPALA
12-10-2006, 07:02 PM
just thinking about next freeze.
1. stop draft in pipe, sounds like your thinking about that. but dont seal completly, there is a thing called a studer vent or quick vent, it will let air in to drain pipe like a ck valve. dont want to have plugged pipe from a collum of waste water.

2. cover output end of pipe with a tent, insulation, hay, something to stop it from freezing up next time.

just rember when the grass is dead in spring, its from the salt.

good luck

boggen
12-10-2006, 07:37 PM
How long did it take w/ the hot water?

just hot water about 1/2 hour. then i smarted up and asked

once i did salt and hot water mix. about 20 minutes.

just rember when the grass is dead in spring, its from the salt.

even better less grass to mow!

pskorf
12-10-2006, 08:28 PM
i have and still am hunting for sepage bed / septic field info for another pond that i am going to be putting in. had a thread a week or so ago asking about them.

i defently due like idea of being able to put water to a sepetic field. than letting un-treated water run down into some ravin. as it is now. i gotta watch what i do put down the drains for the one pipe :/

i do not have it going into any septic field just a couple of skidsteer buckets that blocks the end of drain tile so mice do not come up it and water can spread out and drain out into the pasture.