PDA

View Full Version : Which color elephant ears are toxic to koi?

koimystic
06-13-2006, 05:15 PM
Is it the green ones or purple ones? I got some green ones the other day:cool:

cindy
06-13-2006, 05:35 PM
I'm looking at Bonnie Hales site and it just says elephant ears

http://www.bonniesplants.com/how_to/poisonous_plants_to_fish.html

BAKA
06-13-2006, 06:13 PM
We put elephant ears, green and purple, in our bog or waterfall. We do not use any soil. We just let them root in the water. The fish can't get to them. Here is a pic of a small one...

koimystic
06-13-2006, 06:40 PM
Thanks Kathy and Cindy! :yes:

cindy
06-13-2006, 08:45 PM
Thats the small one??? Beautiful plants.

JanetMermaid
06-14-2006, 12:19 AM
I have tarot all over the pond -- so do most of the people I know. I know that elephant ears and tarot are in the same family, but are they the same plants in different situations (dirt vs. water) or are they actually different species?

Lee B
06-14-2006, 06:40 AM
I'm not sure where to look, Janet - but taro is what they make poi from. So if it's poisonous, there would be a lot of dead Polynesians, as it's a staple in their diet. Of course, I don't know about the leaves.

Hmmmm. I'll have to look when I get to work.

ponderingkoi
06-14-2006, 07:05 AM
On a list I have it says "Elephants ear...leaves and stem" as the toxic parts. Doesn't specify a color. Guess you want to be sure those big leaves don't dip into the water where the koi can eat them. Ponderingkoi

JanetMermaid
06-14-2006, 08:34 AM
The leaves of my taro dip into the water all the time. Parker, my big turtle LOVES them. I think taro must be safe and it's earth-bound elephant ear that's the problem. I can't see every pond store in the country selling taro if it's that deadly to koi.

charlestonkoi
06-14-2006, 10:57 AM
and never had any problems.

Funbug
06-14-2006, 02:42 PM
We have elephant ears both the green and purple ones both in the pond and along the edge for years. I have never heard that they are toxic. My koi are not in the least iterested inthem tho.

RichToyBox
06-14-2006, 09:20 PM
For some reason, I know it shows up on some lists, but my koi have never been bothered by it. My elephant ear and taro both end up with leaves drooping over into the pond, and they will tear it, but don't seem to eat it. I think most things that are poisonous to animals have tastes that are unpleasant, irritating, or something that keeps them from consuming poisonous substances. Sometimes the animals are smarter than man. I think the list on Bonnie's site is one that was taken from a turtle or tortoise site, and if those are the only foods available, a hungary animal might be tempted to eat it and get some form of distress, like food poisoning, or worse.