PDA

View Full Version : Using fire hydrant to fill pond - a good idea?

Hi Utsuri
08-28-2009, 12:24 PM
A neighbor stopped by to check up on my pond build. He had a swimming pool put in his backyard a while ago. What he did was get a permit to use the nearby fire hydrant to fill his pond. Supposedly, the fire department will come by your house, hook up a hose, and fill your pond. The neighbor told me the permit was $10.00 and the water cost only $8.00.

Question: Is the water in a fire hydrant the very same as coming through a garden hose? If not, is this water safe for koi? Has anyone ever done this with their pond? :confused:

cindy
08-28-2009, 12:25 PM
not with the pond but we used to do it with the pool, only thing is the pressure is more

andrew davis
08-28-2009, 01:01 PM
Could be good for a few weehee's, a fountain that size on the big day

Regards, andy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21940871@N06/
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l42/adavisus/

mpageler
08-28-2009, 01:10 PM
I always assumed that fire hydrants were hooked up to the general municpal water system. Anytime we get water restrictions, part of the reasoning is for public safety in regards to fire fighting. A little "stale" water at first but would assume that it would be flushed a while before filling a pool or pond.

MaBird
08-28-2009, 01:29 PM
I would say a definate No No Fred, surely the firefighters run chemicals through their hoses at times to clean them out. We had that thought when we wanted to fill out 42,000 gallon pond in WA, we spoke to the local firefighters who were willing to help us out but mentioned about the chemicals

jtp79
08-28-2009, 01:37 PM
I am pretty sure that around here it comes from the same water supply. Also here there is no break on the water price,,,,they will let you use it but they meter it as it goes in and you are charged accordingly.

Joey S
08-28-2009, 01:47 PM
We have used fire hydrants to fill tanks for our koi show, but we used our own hoses. Worth checking into.

kytalker
08-28-2009, 04:50 PM
Firefighters use a chemical foam to supress chemical fire's and house fire's.. I would be afraid to use the fire hose to do it.. As far as the water itself, it should be hooked up to the main water line that runs threw out the city.. So it should be no different then what would come out of your fosset..

Hi Utsuri
08-28-2009, 04:56 PM
Firefighters use a chemical foam to supress chemical fire's and house fire's.. I would be afraid to use the fire hose to do it.. As far as the water itself, it should be hooked up to the main water line that runs threw out the city.. So it should be no different then what would come out of your fosset..

Never thought about chemicals they may use in the hoses! An excellent point. Me thinks I'll just toss the garden hose in there and call it good.

cindy
08-28-2009, 05:11 PM
We have used fire hydrants to fill tanks for our koi show, but we used our own hoses. Worth checking into.

TROY! Did you hear that?

We have one hose to fill all of our tanks.:cheer:

birdman
08-28-2009, 07:21 PM
It will take a year to fill your lake, but if you go a garden hose you can use my meter.

Hi Utsuri
08-28-2009, 10:02 PM
It will take a year to fill your lake, but if you go a garden hose you can use my meter.

Oh you just think you're so smart don't you! :harhar:

I realize it will take a long time to fill my pond - that's why I'm using two garden hoses, so it will only take me six months to fill the pond. I can still use your water meter, and then multiply by two so I get an accurate number of gallons.

whodat
08-29-2009, 01:25 AM
The fire department comes by yearly inspections of fire hydrants where I live in Northern California. From what I have seen, some of the initial water may have some rust from the valve being closed. Once you get past this initial dirty water, its probably just as clean as from the garden hose bib.

Dave

Norm Walsh
08-29-2009, 01:46 AM
You could probably rent a hose at a rental yard :shrug:

yorkie
08-29-2009, 09:59 AM
Oh you just think you're so smart don't you! :harhar:

I realize it will take a long time to fill my pond - that's why I'm using two garden hoses, so it will only take me six months to fill the pond. I can still use your water meter, and then multiply by two so I get an accurate number of gallons.

Using 1 hose it took me about a week to fill my pomd but I only ran the water during the day and I used a meter 37,000 gallons.

Larry

BillJ
08-29-2009, 10:08 AM
Are you wanting speed or just trying to avoid sewer costs? I had to install a second meter for outdoor use. The sewer rate is determined by the amount of water used in the house and here where I live sewer rates are just about double water rates. My outdoor water on separate meter runs about $8-15 in the summer making a lot of water changes,but my minimum indoor cost with sewer runs about $85/month. Outrageous!!!

Bill

Joey S
08-29-2009, 10:12 AM
Are you wanting speed or just trying to avoid sewer costs? I had to install a second meter for outdoor use. The sewer rate is determined by the amount of water used in the house and here where I live sewer rates are just about double water rates. My outdoor water on separate meter runs about $8-15 in the summer making a lot of water changes,but my minimum indoor cost with sewer runs about $85/month. Outrageous!!!

Bill

For anyone in this situation, it sure makes sense to put in the separate meter. You could do that here, but I'm not sure anymore. The city just started charging us - on a well and septic - a "ground water" charge - whatever the H*** that is.

BillJ
08-29-2009, 10:20 AM
For anyone in this situation, it sure makes sense to put in the separate meter. You could do that here, but I'm not sure anymore. The city just started charging us - on a well and septic - a "ground water" charge - whatever the H*** that is.

There are plans to do that here,as well,but I think the idea here is to tax you for the amount of rainwater runoff estimated for the size of your property,the funds used to upgrade storm sewers.
But,you situation seems to be a way for them to charge you for using water underground beneath your property. They're going to get as much from our pockets one way or another.

Bill

Joey S
08-29-2009, 10:24 AM
Yep, Bill, it does have something to do with storm sewers, but we don't have those either in our hood.:rolleyes:

Sp00ks
08-29-2009, 10:45 AM
I would enquire with the fire department on the hoses. Do they use the same hoses for chemical and water? Get your own hose and purge before putting it in the pond maybe?

I'm 10 miles from the city limits and still on "city" water. When we bought our house we had a well on the property and the health department stated it was a health hazard and made the previous owner dump 12 bags of concrete in it to seal it off. Concrete in the ground water isn't a health hazard but a standard well with a concrete lid is? I vote BS!

We wanted the well to water the garden and wash cars etc. but that would have reduced the amount we were paying the "city" for water....... grrrr. 15 years later it still makes me angry.

boggen
08-31-2009, 09:55 AM
make sure to run the water from the fire hydrant for a little bit, when folks say dirty there is a reason. all that water flowing through a hydrant is like what folks do to clean out there bottom drain lines. which is normally referred to as "flushing" there bottom drain lines.

if you search online you can normally get you a nice length of collapsible hose. something like what the fire department uses. along with various adapters, such as quick connects. for hoses as well. if you plan on doing the fill up via fire hydrant a few times. it might be worth just buying the hose and adatpors that are needed.

just make sure to contact fire department first, to find out what you need as far as type of an adapter for your hose.

==================
i have never seen it personally, but i have read were folks had a meter installed directly on fire hydrant. and they got billed per gallon that way. vs a simple flat rate.

sudsy
08-31-2009, 11:19 PM
I filled my pond with a fire hydrant, i let the water run for a few minutes before putting the hose in the pond, it filled my 6000 gal pond in like twenty minutes. never had an issue with chemicals but i never really thought about it. i would talk to your fire dep and see what they say, they may use different hoses for different fires.

Mike

MikeS
09-01-2009, 10:35 AM
Actually contact the water dept first, it's their system. They have the hydrant meter and the hose as well. They flush hydrants each year. Depending on your town they will probably set it up for you and have you call when you're done.

AdamT
09-01-2009, 09:56 PM
Structural fire departments don't use very much foam or other chemicals and they will usually do a very good job of clearing it out of the lines, it's kind of corrosive. I wouldn't hesitate to use a hydrant as long as they let it run for a minute or so before they put any in the pond.

Adam